Boston 1-bed townhouse at $1.01m: adjusting thin comparables

chalk.swift

Property investor
I have checked three current listings and one completed transaction, but the adjustments still feel too dependent on assumptions. The Boston property is a one-bedroom townhouse of about 1,400 sq ft, listed at $1,010,000 in average condition. It has good light and location, dated finishes and possible maintenance ahead.

Using the full average price per square foot seems likely to overvalue space that does not function like an extra bedroom. I am considering separate condition and maintenance ranges instead, with no assumed future appreciation. Would parking, ownership structure, the floor plan or exact micro-location be the missing fact most likely to change the estimate? I will also seek a local appraisal before treating the figure as reliable.
 
I’d anchor the analysis to the completed sale and treat the three listings as evidence of seller expectations, not achieved value. I wouldn’t apply one blanket percentage for condition: price the visible work in separate low and high cases, then allow another scenario for uncertain maintenance.

For floor area, avoid multiplying every extra foot by the comparable’s full average rate. With only one bedroom, some of that space may have lower marginal value. Exact micro-location would change my estimate most.
 
Is it fee-simple ownership or legally a condominium-style townhouse? If there are recurring service charges, pending shared works, or any lease-length issue in the ownership documents, those could matter more than the dated finishes. I’d also want to know whether the completed comparable had parking or private outdoor space, because either difference could make it a weak anchor.
 
I partly disagree that micro-location is automatically the biggest unknown. At 1,400 sq ft, the one-bedroom layout is the unusual feature. A buyer may value light and generous rooms, but another may see space that cannot serve as a second bedroom. I’d examine the floor plan and permitted use before making any floor-area adjustment. Comparing only with similarly sized homes could overstate value if those homes have more functional layouts.
 
There are two plausible ways to organise this: centre everything on the single closed sale, or build a broader feature comparison across all four properties. I would use both, but avoid permanent assumptions about the unusual layout when missing information can still be obtained.

Make a grid covering status, distance, size, bedroom count, condition, parking, outdoor space, ownership and recurring charges. Leave unknown entries empty. Then test one value based on the existing one-bedroom layout and another based on how buyers may use the 1,400 sq ft, without presuming a legal conversion. That should show whether the $1,010,000 argument rests mainly on location, parking or space the closed comparable did not offer.
 
Back
Top