Bogotá first purchase: is COP 143.5m enough cash to keep after closing?

field.full

Buyer
Established
I have checked the deposit, estimated purchase costs and first mortgage payment, but the recurring service charges and exact insurance excess are still unclear. The property is a 3-bed duplex in Bogotá at about COP 881,500,000, and the purchase would leave me with around COP 143,500,000 in cash.

Rather than assigning that balance immediately, I am thinking of ring-fencing an emergency fund based on monthly household spending, reserving something for urgent inspection findings, and delaying most furniture purchases. Does that sound too conservative if the inspection is fairly clean? I also plan to verify any shared-area costs or planned works before deciding what is genuinely spare. The listing’s time on market may support negotiation, but I do not want a lower offer to depend on cutting the cash reserve.
 
I would protect the emergency fund first and treat furniture as the flexible category. Set aside moving costs, the first mortgage payment and any known service charges before deciding what is actually available for repairs. Then keep a separate amount for inspection items that need attention immediately. A duplex can be furnished gradually; urgent building or safety work cannot.
 
The missing fact is your normal monthly household spending, including the new mortgage. COP 143,500,000 may be comfortable for one buyer and tight for another depending on income stability and recurring costs.

Also, are the service charges already confirmed, and does the duplex have any shared areas or planned work? Those could matter more than the initial furniture budget.
 
Clara’s question about recurring costs is important, but I wouldn’t wait for a perfect annual estimate before making an offer. Use separate pots: untouchable emergency savings, transaction and move-in cash, inspection-led repairs, then furniture. If the inspection is clean, the repair pot remains yours; it doesn’t automatically become permission to spend more on furniture.
 
I disagree slightly on days on market. It can justify asking questions, but by itself it says little about the seller’s willingness to negotiate. A long listing period could reflect price, condition or simply limited demand for that exact property. I’d base any reduction on comparable homes and inspection findings, while keeping the desired buffer intact rather than using it to bridge a stubborn seller’s price.
 
Before deciding, make a first-90-days list with three columns: payable at closing or immediately after, necessary but deferrable, and optional. Put the first mortgage payment, moving, confirmed service charges and insurance costs in the first column. Inspection defects go into the first or second depending on urgency. Beds and essential appliances may be necessary; filling all three bedrooms and decorating can wait.
 
One more practical step: ask for the likely payment dates, not just the amounts. Closing costs, moving, insurance and the first mortgage payment may cluster together. Cash-flow timing can make an adequate total buffer feel much smaller. Once the inspection arrives, get clarity on each finding before renegotiating: what must be done now, what can wait, and what is merely cosmetic.
 
Back
Top