Bogotá country home: does 8.7% gross leave enough margin?

isa.reed

Real estate agent
Established
I want this 3-bed country home to work without relying on appreciation, but uncertain occupancy is the obstacle. The asking price is COP 1,702,000,000 and projected rent is COP 12,310,000 a month, producing a gross yield of about 8.7%.

The structure appears sound. Even so, competing supply could mean accepting a lower rent or carrying the property empty for longer than expected. Either case would also expose any weak assumptions about management, property tax, insurance, tenant turnover and the amount held back for repairs.

Which of those costs is commonly easiest to underestimate around Bogotá? My next step is to test lower-rent and extended-vacancy cases, including one substantial repair and the actual financing payments. I would also like to know whether the quoted rent comes from a signed lease, completed rental evidence or an advertised figure.
 
Tenant turnover may hurt more than any single recurring bill because it can combine vacancy, marketing, cleaning and repairs at once. I’d also verify property tax and insurance from property-specific figures rather than broad Bogotá assumptions. Is COP 12,310,000 based on an existing lease, comparable signed rents, or an asking price? The answer matters more than fine-tuning the maintenance reserve.
 
I wouldn’t choose a required net yield until financing is included. An acceptable unlevered result can become fragile if debt payments continue through a long vacancy or major repair. I’d run three cases: full expected rent, lower rent with turnover, and several vacant months plus the large repair. Then add tax, insurance and management using written estimates. If the deal only works at COP 12,310,000 every month, the 8.7% headline figure offers too little protection.
 
Back
Top