Bogotá 1-bed villa at COP 1.906bn: is 6.3% gross enough?

isa.reed

Real estate agent
Established
The rent initially made this look more comfortable than it now does. The Bogotá 1-bed villa is COP 1,906,000,000 and the proposed monthly rent is COP 9,962,000, so the gross yield is about 6.3%. Once I started allowing for empty periods, management, ongoing upkeep and money set aside for major repairs, the margin narrowed quickly.

The property itself looks sound, but I still need a reliable property-tax figure and clarity on any recurring building costs. For an all-cash purchase, what net return would make this worthwhile as a first deal? If borrowing is involved, which interest-rate or repayment scenario would you use as the minimum cash-flow test?
 
The gross calculation is roughly right, but I would pin down property tax and any administración charge before discussing an acceptable net yield. Also ask whether COP 9,962,000 is rent alone or includes building fees, and whether that figure assumes the villa is furnished. Those details can move costs or turnover risk from the tenant’s side back to yours.
 
I’m less convinced property tax is automatically the biggest threat. One extra vacancy period, tenant placement costs and work between tenancies could hurt more, particularly with a 1-bed property at that rent level.

Is this an all-cash purchase or financed? If financed, test the cash flow against different borrowing costs and repayment structures. A respectable unlevered net yield can still produce uncomfortable monthly cash flow once debt is added.
 
Before choosing a target yield, reconcile the rent with evidence from genuinely comparable 1-bed villas rather than broader Bogotá listings. COP 9,962,000 monthly means COP 119,544,000 annually before any expenses, so there is not much mystery in the gross figure; the uncertainty is whether that rent is repeatable.

I’d model a normal year, a turnover year and a major-repair year separately. One blended reserve can hide how uneven the cash flow may be.
 
Agreed on separating the scenarios. I’d ask for the actual property-tax amount, current administración charge and what each party pays under the proposed lease, then obtain real management and insurance quotes. If the deal only works when the full asking rent arrives every month and every cost lands at the optimistic end, 6.3% gross is too thin regardless of the precise net-yield target.
 
Back
Top