Birmingham homeowner comparing asking and completed prices

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
Hello from Birmingham. I would like to make sensible comparisons between markets, although I am wary of relying on listings that show sellers’ expectations rather than actual outcomes.

I am a homeowner currently reading about villas, renovation costs and transaction expenses, both in the UK and more broadly. For my starting point, should I examine completed-price records first and use the Birmingham board to explain individual differences, or begin with a general first-buyer discussion? I am mainly looking for sources whose figures I can verify.
 
Welcome. I’d start with completed-sale data alongside the local board. Asking prices show what sellers hope to achieve; completed figures give you a better starting point for comparisons. Local discussions can then help explain why apparently similar properties sold differently.
 
One clarification: are the villas you’re studying in the UK or overseas? Also, is this preparation for another purchase, an investment model, or general research? The most useful reading order changes quite a bit depending on that answer.
 
Before getting absorbed in price comparisons, make a simple transaction-cost worksheet. Keep purchase costs, financing, renovation, ongoing management and a contingency separate. Then run the same property through different scenarios. A modest gap between asking and completed price may matter less than an overlooked repair or recurring cost.
 
I’d also avoid treating every completed sale as a clean comparable. Condition, exact location, property type and other terms can explain a large difference. The useful question is not only “What percentage below asking did it sell for?” but “How closely does it resemble the property being assessed?”
 
I slightly disagree with doing a detailed model first. Until annar41 defines the target market and purpose, many of those inputs will be guesses. I’d begin with a narrow sample of properties, note the questions it raises, then use mortgage comparisons and a jurisdiction-specific legal checklist to fill the gaps.
 
That’s fair, although even a rough cost list can expose false affordability early. It doesn’t need precise numbers at first. Mark uncertain items clearly, define the target, and replace assumptions as better information appears. The mistake is presenting an early model as a forecast rather than a working draft.
 
A practical order could be: read recent local threads, choose a tightly defined property type and area, collect a small group of relevant completed sales, compare financing options, and list legal or transaction questions for the appropriate local adviser. That keeps the research manageable without assuming one dataset explains the whole market.
 
If “villas” means property outside the UK, add management to the comparison before drawing conclusions from headline prices. Distance can affect maintenance planning, oversight and how much control an owner has. Those factors are difficult to compare directly with a Birmingham home that can be monitored locally.
 
Time horizon would help too. A property intended for personal use, long-term ownership or income needs a different model. I’d keep those cases in separate tabs rather than blending them into one expected return.
 
You could post one anonymised example in the relevant local board: asking price, property type, general area, condition, likely renovation and the completed sales you think are comparable. Members can then challenge the comparison itself instead of debating abstract averages.
 
And for Birmingham research, keep the area definition tight. City-wide figures can hide substantial differences between individual locations and property types. Completed sales also describe transactions from an earlier point in the process, so compare dates as well as prices. Once you clarify where the villas are and what decision you’re working toward, people can point you to the most relevant section.
 
Back
Top