Birmingham first-time buyer: is £31,200 enough cash to keep back?

DirectCairn

Homeowner
Established
I want to complete the purchase without spending the first year worrying about cash, but I am not sure how much of the remaining money is genuinely available. The property is a 2-bed serviced apartment in Birmingham at about £514,800. After 117 days of searching, this is the first one I am seriously considering, and the purchase would leave me with around £31,200 in cash.

My instinct is to protect the emergency fund before budgeting for anything optional. The difficulty is accounting for moving, the initial mortgage instalment, service charges, the insurance excess and whatever the inspection uncovers. Furniture could wait, although I would need the basics.

How would you prioritise those pots, and which building-level costs should I establish before deciding that £31,200 is a comfortable buffer?
 
I would ring-fence the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furniture. Then set aside known near-term payments—moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and insurance excess—before creating a repair pot from what remains. Furniture can be bought room by room.

The missing fact is the inspection result. Until you know whether “ordinary work” means decorating or something urgent, £31,200 is reassuring but not necessarily spare cash.
 
I’d go further and avoid deciding the split until you know when the service charge is due and whether any significant building work is expected. An apartment inspection may help inside the flat, but shared-building costs can change the calculation.

Ask for clear figures and dates through the purchase process, then price the urgent items only. If the remaining untouched emergency fund feels too thin, that is a good reason to lower the purchase price rather than trim the buffer.
 
Back
Top