Small update: the Birmingham purchase has finally completed, which leaves me wondering how much of the earlier frustration could have been avoided. Several offers were rejected, and the paperwork then moved more slowly than I expected.
The experience has given me two practical rules. If the price leaves no separate pot for repairs, I would lower the offer or walk away. Once a bid is accepted, I would also give every outstanding item a named contact and a date—for example, confirming who is waiting for a lender response rather than assuming the solicitors are handling it. What did you only understand after getting your first purchase over the line?
The experience has given me two practical rules. If the price leaves no separate pot for repairs, I would lower the offer or walk away. Once a bid is accepted, I would also give every outstanding item a named contact and a date—for example, confirming who is waiting for a lender response rather than assuming the solicitors are handling it. What did you only understand after getting your first purchase over the line?