Berlin warehouses at 63 days: is there more room to negotiate?

freya.bell

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
After tracking more Berlin listings, I have a new question: are slower properties creating real negotiating room, or are the visible reductions giving a distorted picture?

The warehouses I am following are advertised from €614,600 to €921,800 and average roughly 63 days on the market. Renovated examples appear to attract decisions faster, while those needing work tend to linger, reduce their price or disappear. The disappearances are difficult to interpret because I cannot tell which completed, which were withdrawn and which may return later.

Would you approach a seller after the first reduction or wait for stronger evidence of motivation? Recent completed sales for comparable condition would be especially helpful, as would any thoughts on whether a clear breakdown of transaction costs materially changes buyer interest.
 
At 63 days, an unrenovated property may offer room to negotiate, but the figure alone is weak evidence. Is that 63-day number from a broad Berlin search or genuinely comparable warehouses? Neighbourhood boundaries, condition and whether withdrawn listings later return can completely change the picture.
 
It comes from listings I’ve been tracking in that price range, not an official market-wide figure. I did group several parts of Berlin together, so the boundary point is fair. My frustration is that asking-price changes are visible, while completed prices and the seller’s actual motivation usually are not.
 
Then I would separate the list before drawing conclusions: same small area, similar size and condition, newly listed versus reduced, and still active versus withdrawn. A renovated warehouse selling quickly is not a useful comparison for one needing substantial work. The timing of the first cut may reveal more than total days advertised.
 
Also, “clear transaction fees” needs unpacking. Do you mean the listing gives buyers a complete, understandable breakdown of expected costs, or simply that the advertised price is unambiguous? If one listing is easier to evaluate, it may attract quicker decisions without proving that buyers are paying closer to asking.
 
Sixty-three days is useful only if the listing is still active and genuinely comparable. A property that disappears has not necessarily sold; the owner may have paused the marketing, changed plans or intended to relist.

Price reductions need similar care. A cut from an unrealistic opening figure may simply bring the property into line with the market, whereas a seller who has held a defensible price for two months may have less room than the days count implies. I would separate active, reduced and withdrawn stock, then compare condition and the timing of each reduction before treating any of it as evidence for an offer.
 
Buyer financing could be creating the split as much as renovation. A ready property gives buyers a clearer total budget, while works introduce uncertainty on top of the purchase. Before offering, I’d price the required work conservatively and decide on a maximum all-in figure rather than negotiating from the seller’s ask.
 
For a property already reduced, I’d ask when the reduction happened and whether the seller rejected earlier offers. You may not get a full answer, but the response can indicate motivation. Make the offer defensible with condition issues and nearby comparable listings, not just “it has been online for 63 days.”
 
Warehouse comparisons also fall apart if the practical characteristics differ. Is it vacant, occupied, easy to access and suitable for the buyer’s intended use? Even within one neighbourhood, those points could explain why a renovated example disappears while another listing lingers. I’d want those matched before interpreting days on market.
 
Based on your clarification, I wouldn’t wait automatically for another public reduction. Build a tighter comparison set, include withdrawn listings separately, and ask for the seller’s preferred timing as well as price. If the property works at your all-in ceiling, a supported offer now tests motivation; if it only works after an assumed future cut, waiting is safer.
 
Back
Top