Berlin serviced apartment: €800,400 purchase and €4,394 monthly rent — what am I missing?

BriskPlan

Real estate agent
Established
I’m deciding whether to proceed with a 1-bed serviced apartment in Berlin. Purchase price is €800,400 and expected rent is €4,394 per month, giving a headline gross yield of roughly 6.6% before acquisition costs and financing.

My conservative model includes vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger repair reserve. The building looks sound, but property tax could materially affect the result. Which local or serviced-apartment cost am I most likely underestimating? What net yield, after recurring property costs but before personal tax, would compensate you for the operational risk?
 
First establish exactly what the €4,394 represents. Is it contractual rent from an operator, or projected guest revenue before cleaning, utilities, booking costs and turnover? Those are completely different propositions.

I would also separate recoverable building charges from amounts the owner must absorb. The annual building budget and recent statements should show more than a broad management estimate.
 
I’d worry less about isolating property tax and more about whether 6.6% uses the correct denominator. If €800,400 excludes acquisition expenses, furnishing or initial setup, your actual capital committed is higher.

For this sort of operating model, I would personally want around 4.5%–5% net before financing. Below 4%, the margin for rent disappointment and irregular repairs starts looking thin to me.
 
That yield requirement is too arbitrary without knowing the arrangement. A long operator commitment and a nightly letting business should not be priced as if they carry the same workload or income volatility.

Who pays utilities, internet, cleaning, linen and replacement furniture? Also, can the unit be used and let in the way assumed? The property documents and operator agreement matter more than the phrase “serviced apartment.”
 
Run three cash-flow columns rather than one: expected rent, a lower-rent case, and lower rent plus extra vacancy. Then add every annual owner-paid item individually—building charges, insurance, property tax, management and reserves. Keep turnover costs separate from ordinary maintenance, because frequent guest changes can create costs without producing a major repair invoice.

If financing is involved, test the debt separately so a tolerable property yield is not confused with tolerable cash flow.
 
Useful distinction. The €4,394 is expected rent, so I’m not treating it as guaranteed operator income. I also haven’t yet received enough detail to split owner-paid building charges from costs passed through to the occupant/operator.

My next step is to request the annual building budget, recent charge statements, insurance allocation and a full explanation of what is deducted before rent reaches the owner. I’ll also recalculate yield using total cash committed rather than just €800,400.
 
Then I would not assign much weight to the 6.6% yet. Ask for a month-by-month bridge from gross accommodation revenue to the stated €4,394. If that bridge cannot be produced, model the figure as marketing rather than income.

Your repair reserve should also distinguish apartment contents from common-building work. One is driven by turnover; the other may arrive through building-level charges.
 
Don’t overlook timing. Even if annual occupancy looks acceptable, gaps between operators or periods when the apartment cannot be marketed can concentrate the loss into several months while building charges and financing continue.

I’d calculate how many zero-income months your cash reserve can carry. That may be more informative than choosing between a 4.3% and 4.7% net yield on paper.
 
I agree with the stress testing, but I would also compare the result with a simpler Berlin rental rather than deciding that any particular net percentage is sufficient. The serviced format only deserves a premium if the extra income survives management, utilities, turnover and furnishing replacement.

Before proceeding, reconcile the operator assumptions with the building documents and obtain Berlin-specific tax and letting advice. If either the permitted use or the cost allocation is unclear, the spreadsheet is not ready for a purchase decision.
 
Back
Top