Berlin rental: €690,000 purchase and €3,708/month — what am I missing?

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
I have already allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and money set aside for major work. What remains unclear is whether the basic rent and local ownership costs make this Berlin property viable in the first place.

It is a two-bedroom country home priced at €690,000, with expected rent of €3,708 a month. That produces a gross figure of about 6.4%, which looks attractive before deductions. The building appears sound, but weaker energy performance could require a separate and potentially significant allowance.

I still need to establish whether the €3,708 is cold rent, an all-inclusive amount, or simply an estimate for a future tenancy. Beyond property tax, insurance and non-recoverable costs, what missing item would most change your net cash-flow calculation?
 
First clarify whether €3,708 is cold rent or includes utilities and other recoverable charges. That distinction can dismantle the headline yield quickly. I’d also include insurance, property tax, non-recoverable building costs and acquisition expenses rather than calculating returns only against €690,000. Energy-related work deserves its own scenario, not just a general maintenance reserve.
 
Is €3,708 based on an existing tenancy, a signed proposal, or an agent’s estimate for a future tenant? I’d worry more about the rent assumption than vacancy. For an unusual 2-bed country home, tenant turnover could mean both an empty period and meaningful reletting costs. Also model whether that rent remains workable under the rules applying to this specific Berlin property; the details matter.
 
I wouldn’t automatically penalise it for being unusual. A distinctive home may have a narrower tenant pool, but it can also face less direct competition. The harder issue is financing sensitivity: test the cash flow at your actual interest and repayment terms, then again at a materially worse refinancing cost. A respectable unlevered net yield can still produce uncomfortable cash flow once debt service and irregular repairs overlap.
 
Before choosing a target net yield, build three versions: expected rent with normal costs; lower rent plus turnover; and an energy upgrade or major repair occurring early. Keep recoverable tenant charges separate from owner-only expenses, and include purchase costs in the capital base. If the deal only looks attractive in the first version, the 6.4% headline is doing too much of the work.
 
Back
Top