Berlin listings: the headline and the street-level picture

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The Berlin studios in my sample are sitting longer than I expected. My concern is that I may be treating a seasonal lull as a genuinely slow segment: asking prices run from €761,800 to €1,143,000, and the typical advert has been visible for 94 days.

Insurance crossed my mind as a possible dividing line between quick sales and stale stock, although agents have offered several conflicting explanations. Should I first separate continuous listings from relisted properties, then compare price-cut dates, completed sales and withdrawals? I would also like to know whether buyer financing or a burst of new listings could explain the delay.
 
Insurance would be fairly low on my list unless these properties share an unusual condition issue. Asking price, exact neighbourhood, state of repair and seller motivation can explain a much larger split. Also, visible for 94 days does not necessarily mean actively marketed on identical terms for 94 days.
 
That’s fair. The sample is probably too broad geographically, even though the prices and studio format looked comparable at first glance. I’ll separate genuine continuous listings from anything withdrawn and returned. Would you treat the date of the first price cut as more informative than total time visible?
 
Yes, but pair it with the cut itself. A listing sitting untouched for 70 days and then receiving a token reduction tells a different story from one repriced decisively after a few weeks. Completed sales matter more than either, provided the properties are actually comparable.
 
I’d also record whether the apparent quick sales simply disappeared. Removal can mean a sale, a withdrawal or a change of agent; it should not automatically enter the successful-sales column.
 
One more distinction: the €761,800–€1,143,000 bracket is wide enough that the lower and upper ends may face different buyer pools. A single 94-day figure could hide two very different patterns.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries may be doing more damage than seasonality here. Two studios can look similar in a spreadsheet while differing sharply by street, immediate surroundings and building. I’d divide the sample into much tighter areas before drawing a Berlin-wide conclusion.
 
Do you have floor areas? For mostly studios, the total asking price alone is difficult to interpret. Price per square metre would not solve the condition or location problem, but it would reveal whether the stale group entered the market at a noticeably stronger valuation.
 
Agreed with Adrian. I’d add building condition and the unit’s condition as separate fields. A renovated interior cannot compensate for every building-level concern, while an dated interior may be easy to understand if the asking price reflects it.
 
Be careful with withdrawn stock when calculating 94 days. If a property vanishes and reappears with new photos or a new agent, the displayed clock may restart even though buyers have already seen it. Keep your own first-seen and last-seen dates.
 
Financing is another possible divider. Rather than assuming every stale listing has a physical defect, ask whether its price and characteristics make the likely buyer more dependent on financing. A seller waiting for a particular number may also reject otherwise workable offers.
 
That said, we shouldn’t turn every portal irregularity into hidden market time. A withdrawn owner may genuinely decide not to sell. I’d label relistings and unresolved disappearances separately rather than forcing both into an adjusted days-on-market figure.
 
Seller motivation may be the missing qualitative piece. Two identical asking prices can behave differently if one owner needs a timely transaction and the other is merely testing demand. Price-cut timing is useful partly because it gives you a clue about that flexibility.
 
A workable table would have: first seen, last seen, current status, original and latest asking price, cut dates, floor area, tight location, unit condition, building condition and whether it appears to be a relisting. Then compare the stale group with confirmed completed sales, not just vanished adverts.
 
I’m not convinced seasonality can be assessed from this snapshot at all. You would need the same type of sample from another period, collected consistently. New-listing volume could fall while old stock accumulates, making the market look slower even if the sale rate has barely changed.
 
Also note whether the studios are vacant, occupied or presented with restrictions affecting how a buyer could use them. I wouldn’t assume those details are equivalent across listings. They could alter the buyer pool and viewing interest without having anything to do with insurance.
 
Coming back to the original insurance theory: it is worth recording any explicit insurance-related problem, but I would not use it as the default explanation. If no listing information points that way, pricing, condition, financing and seller expectations are the cleaner hypotheses to test first.
 
I’d run the analysis in two passes: first tighten the neighbourhood and size comparisons, then split listings into sold, still active, withdrawn and uncertain. After that, inspect when price cuts happened. If the 94-day pattern survives those changes, it becomes much more meaningful than the current headline figure.
 
Back
Top