Berlin duplex sample: are weak building reserves prompting negotiation?

BriskPlan

Real estate agent
Established
I’d like to know whether these duplexes are genuinely moving quickly, but the mix of conditions makes the figures hard to trust. The Berlin listings I reviewed run from €618,200 to €927,400, with a reported price movement of 2.1% and a median marketing period of 17 days.

The part I cannot read is the building reserve. When it looks inadequate, do buyers price the likely work into an offer, or does the uncertainty make them leave altogether? I suspect advertised stock is hiding that distinction. Comparing completed sales, reductions and withdrawals separately may be more useful than one average, especially if condition is also graded consistently.
 
Probably both, depending on whether the weak reserve points to identifiable work. A buyer may negotiate if the likely cost feels bounded; uncertainty can make walking away easier, especially when financing is already tight. Your 17-day figure may miss that distinction because withdrawn homes never become completed sales. I’d separate sold, reduced and withdrawn listings before drawing much from it.
 
How tightly did you draw the neighbourhood boundaries? At this price range, mixing different parts of Berlin could overwhelm a 2.1% movement. I’d also want to know whether the duplexes are comparable in floor area and condition, and whether the reserve figure is for the whole building or meaningful when related to the particular unit.
 
I’m less convinced that withdrawn stock automatically signals buyer concern about reserves. Sellers can withdraw because motivation changes or because the initial price was unrealistic. Price-cut timing may be more revealing: an early reduction suggests the launch price missed the market, while a later reduction after buyer scrutiny could be consistent with condition or building-cost concerns. Without seller feedback, though, that remains an inference.
 
Agreed that boundaries and comparability need tightening. A practical next pass would keep the same micro-area, split renovated from work-needed duplexes, then record reserve information alongside new-listing volume, first price cut, withdrawal and completed sale where available. That would not prove why someone walked away, but it should show whether weaker reserves coincide with longer marketing or larger reductions rather than disappearing inside the 17-day median.
 
Back
Top