Berlin 85 m² apartment at €529,000 after 62 days — adjustment help

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
I can either work outward from the single completed sale or use the three current listings and discount them, but both methods feel fragile. The property is a one-bedroom Berlin apartment of about 85 m², in average condition, offered at €529,000 after 62 days. Its light and immediate location appeal to me; the dated interior and purchase costs do not.

Rather than apply a broad percentage to every difference, I am considering refurbishment quotes for the interior and a modest size adjustment only where the layouts are genuinely comparable. The harder issue is the feature I cannot later change: the exact street and surroundings. I also need the service charges, reserve position and occupancy details before deciding whether my eleven-month rental assumption is conservative enough.
 
The ask is roughly €6,224 per m², but I wouldn’t make a large mechanical floor-area adjustment unless the comparables differ substantially in size or layout efficiency. As a rough negotiating method, I might test 3–5% for clearly dated finishes, then replace that estimate with actual refurbishment quotes. The missing fact with the biggest impact is the exact micro-location, down to the street and immediate surroundings.
 
Is it vacant, or being sold with a tenant? If occupied, the lease terms and current rent could matter more than the finishes. I’d also want the service charges and the building’s repair-reserve position. Eleven months of rent may look conservative or inadequate depending on whether upcoming building works sit outside your apartment-level budget.
 
I’m not convinced by a blanket 3–5% condition deduction. Buyers may discount dated finishes more heavily when kitchens, bathrooms and building works overlap, while cosmetic work alone may justify much less. Also, the one completed sale deserves more weight than the three asking comparables, but only after comparing floor, lift access, light, outdoor space and condition.
 
Parking and outdoor space need separating rather than burying them in a general €/m² adjustment. A smaller apartment with a balcony or parking space may legitimately ask more per square metre than an 85 m² unit without either. I’d make a simple grid: completed price, asking prices, size, condition, floor, lift, balcony, parking, occupancy and monthly service charges. Blank cells will show what to ask the agent.
 
The 62 days on market is useful for negotiation, but it does not prove the seller will accept a particular discount. I’d request the service-charge breakdown, reserve information, tenancy status and details of any planned building work, then get refurbishment estimates before choosing an offer. Run at least two cases: cosmetic updating only, and a heavier apartment-plus-building-cost case. That should expose whether the eleven-month rent allowance is doing enough.
 
Back
Top