Berlin 2-bed at €644,000 and €3,697 rent: does the yield survive costs?

BriskPlan

Real estate agent
Established
I’m assessing a 2-bed new-build flat in Berlin at €644,000, with expected rent of €3,697/month. That produces the advertised gross yield of roughly 6.9%, but only before acquisition costs and ongoing deductions.

My model already allows for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a separate reserve for one larger repair. The building itself looks sound. I’m less confident about Berlin-specific costs such as non-recoverable building charges, insurance and property tax, and whether the rent assumption is sustainable through tenant turnover.

Which local expense is most often underestimated? I’d also be interested in what net yield—or stress-tested cash flow—you would require before accepting the financing and letting risk.
 
The rent assumption needs attention before refining the expense side. Is €3,697 the cold rent, or does it include utilities, furniture, parking or other charges? Also, is it based on an actual tenancy or merely the sales projection? If that figure cannot be repeated after turnover, the 6.9% headline becomes misleading.

On costs, separate recoverable tenant charges from the owner-only portion of the building charges. That owner-only amount, plus management and acquisition costs, can take a noticeable bite out of the return.
 
I’d also ask for the building’s proposed budget rather than treating “new-build” as meaning low maintenance. Early repairs may be limited, but administration, insurance and common-area costs still exist. Run the yield on the total cash invested, including transaction fees, not just €644,000.
 
I disagree slightly with focusing on one missing local expense. The bigger risk is several optimistic assumptions occurring together: full rent, little vacancy, cheap management and stable financing. Stress the model with a lower achievable rent, a tenant-change gap and higher borrowing cost.

For the legal sustainability of the rent, Berlin-specific rules and the exact letting format matter, so that part should be checked locally rather than inferred from the listing. I’d prefer resilient positive cash flow over chasing a particular net-yield percentage.
 
That’s helpful. The €3,697 was presented as expected rent, not confirmed income, so I’ll stop treating it as the base case until I know exactly what it includes and whether it is supportable at the next letting.

My next step is to request the proposed building budget, split recoverable from owner-only charges, add all acquisition costs to the invested amount, and rerun the financing with lower rent and a turnover gap. If the deal only works at the headline figure, I’ll pass.
 
Back
Top