Bengaluru homeowner looking beyond advertised prices

runsAndEmber

Homeowner
Established
Hello from Bengaluru. I’m already a homeowner, but most of my property reading now is about new-build flats, transaction costs, and the gap between advertised prices and completed transaction prices.

I joined because I’d rather compare methods across markets than stay in a Bengaluru-only bubble. For those following India, would you start with the local board, a particular type of market dataset, or a practical checklist? I’m especially interested in learning how people make fair comparisons when the headline price excludes other costs.
 
Welcome, Diego. I’d start on the local board, then keep a simple table separating the base price, transaction costs, financing, work needed, and ongoing charges. That makes discussions much clearer than comparing one headline number with another.

Are you mainly trying to understand the market, assess a future purchase, or model your current home as an investment? The most useful reading order will differ.
 
Thanks, Julia. Market understanding comes first; I don’t want to build an investment model on unreliable price comparisons. Your table idea is helpful. I’m particularly unsure how members decide whether two completed prices are genuinely comparable when the flats may differ by build stage, condition, payment timing, or included items.
 
That is the right concern. A completed price is not automatically a better comparison just because it is completed. First establish what the figure represents and when it was recorded, then note size, condition, location, build stage, and anything bundled into the amount. If those fields are missing, treat the number as context rather than a direct comparable.
 
I’d actually put a legal checklist ahead of serious dataset work for a new-build. Price analysis can tell you whether something looks attractive, but it cannot show whether the property-specific paperwork and obligations are acceptable. The exact checks depend on the jurisdiction and project, so a local professional may still be needed. Data and documentation should run in parallel, not as substitutes.
 
For cross-market comparisons, resist converting everything into one price-per-area figure. Mortgage structures, transaction costs, completion timing, renovation needs, and property-management costs can change the outcome. A useful model has separate columns for purchase cash, borrowing, one-off costs, ongoing costs, and expected work. You can then compare assumptions without pretending the markets operate identically.
 
A practical reading sequence would be: local discussions for terminology, market-data threads for price definitions, legal checklists for property-specific risks, then mortgage and investment modelling. Leave renovation and management estimates until you know the likely property type and condition. Also record where each number came from and its date; otherwise advertised and completed prices soon get mixed together again.
 
Back
Top