Bengaluru first home: dividing a ₹1,586,000 post-closing buffer

daan.keel

Homeowner
One detail makes the budget harder to judge: the ₹1,586,000 would need to cover the period immediately after completion, including the first mortgage payment. The property I am considering is a 2-bed detached home in Bengaluru at about ₹20,880,000.

I am not convinced a fixed four-way split is sensible before seeing the inspection findings. Would you first reserve several months of essential spending, obtain actual moving quotes, and then classify repairs by urgency? I can postpone most furniture, though I still need enough for basic items rather than moving into an empty house. I would prefer a lower purchase price if buying near my limit would leave no room for ordinary first-year problems.
 
I would ring-fence the emergency fund before creating the other pots. Next, reserve enough for moving and the first mortgage payment, then let the inspection determine the repair allowance. Furniture would come last; the essentials can be bought gradually.

Also confirm whether the home has any recurring service or maintenance charges. A detached property can still be part of a development with shared costs.
 
I would not decide whether ₹1,586,000 is comfortable without knowing your essential monthly spending and how stable the household income is. A fixed percentage split can look tidy while leaving too little accessible cash.

Check whether that figure already accounts for the first mortgage payment and any insurance excess. Then get moving estimates and separate inspection findings into urgent, first-year and cosmetic items. I agree about delaying furniture, but I would keep a small amount for practical basics rather than putting every spare rupee into repairs.
 
Back
Top