Bengaluru duplex: allocating a ₹3,256,000 post-closing buffer

EarlyBrick

First-time buyer
Established
The duplex appears sound. My concern is whether the first few weeks could consume the buffer faster than expected.

Completion on this 4-bed place in Bengaluru is 24 days away, at a price of about ₹86,840,000. I expect to retain ₹3,256,000 once the deposit and projected purchase expenses are paid. The inspection mostly identifies manageable first-year jobs, but several could become immediate repairs once we move in.

I am tempted to ring-fence most of the money as an emergency reserve, although that could leave too little for moving and genuinely urgent work. How would you set the boundary between those two pots? I also want separate amounts ready for service charges, the policy excess and mortgage payment number one. Furniture can wait; the aim is to avoid starting homeownership at the limit.
 
I would allocate in this order: several months of essential household and mortgage costs that remain untouched; known completion and moving bills; genuinely urgent inspection items; then furniture. Keep the first mortgage payment separate now rather than assuming next month’s income covers it. Anything cosmetic can wait until you know how the duplex actually functions.
 
The missing number is your monthly essential spending after the purchase. ₹3,256,000 could be comfortable or tight depending on the mortgage and other commitments. Also, are the service charges already included in the closing estimate, and do you know their due date? I would list every payment expected between today and the second mortgage payment.
 
I would not divide the money into four equal pots. Furniture should initially receive almost nothing beyond beds, basic seating and anything needed to work or eat. An inspection report records defects, but it does not tell you which ones will demand cash immediately. Try to price the water, electrical, structural or security-related findings separately from cosmetic notes before setting the repair allowance.
 
I disagree slightly about giving furniture almost nothing. A 4-bed home can create a lot of tempting purchases, but some functional items may be necessary from day one. I would set a hard, modest furnishing cap rather than leave the category open-ended. Buy for rooms you will use immediately; leave the others empty until the repair costs become clearer.
 
Turn the inspection into three lists: required before moving in, likely within the first year, and optional. Obtain estimates only for the first group now, then add a contingency rather than treating every line in the report as an immediate bill.

Make a separate 24-day cash calendar for movers, service charges, insurance premium and the first mortgage payment. An insurance excess is generally money you may need if you claim, depending on the policy, not necessarily an upfront closing expense.
 
One practical next step is to subtract the cash calendar and urgent repair allowance from ₹3,256,000, then compare what remains with your normal monthly essentials. That tells you the real emergency runway. If the result feels thin, delay furniture and first-year work rather than mentally combining those flexible costs with the emergency fund.
 
Back
Top