Bengaluru: 85 m² studio or similarly priced serviced apartment?

luca.east

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing an 85 m² studio with a similarly priced serviced apartment in Bengaluru. The studio appears simpler to maintain, while the serviced apartment may give me more control over how it is operated but expose me to larger, irregular costs.

I’m modelling local supply, insurance, energy use, tenant demand, vacancy and resale liquidity. What I’m missing is a practical checklist for costs after year one, especially shared-building reserves and management workload. This would be a purchase outside my home country, so I don’t want to assume the ownership process or ongoing responsibilities work the same way.
 
I’d start with the building rather than the unit type. Ask for the history of shared charges, planned major works, reserve arrangements, insurance boundaries and exactly which services are compulsory. Then model two vacancies: an ordinary empty period and one caused by refurbishment or building work. A serviced apartment can look hands-off until the operating agreement, furnishing cycle and shared costs are examined together.
 
What does “more control” mean here? Can you choose the manager, set the letting terms and occupy the apartment when you want, or is control limited by the building’s operating setup? That distinction could reverse your comparison.

I’d also want separate energy estimates for the private unit and shared facilities. An 85 m² studio may be straightforward internally while still carrying substantial common-area costs.
 
I’m not convinced the studio automatically wins on simplicity. If its tenant pool is narrower at that size, vacancy and resale time could matter more than routine maintenance. Conversely, demand for the serviced apartment may depend heavily on the quality and continuity of management.

Before choosing, put both options into the same five-year cash-flow sheet: recurring charges, irregular building contributions, insurance gaps, furnishing or replacement costs, management time and conservative vacancy periods. Also get local clarification on ownership documents, use restrictions and transfer costs rather than extrapolating from your home country.
 
Back
Top