Before relisting, how can we reduce the risk of another failed sale?

grain.brisk

Seller
Established
We cannot put the property back on the market until the previous agreement and any deposit position are fully closed out. Once that is confirmed, we need to decide whether speed or a stronger sales file matters more.

The buyer for our coastal home failed to complete after being under agreement for several weeks. Financing was the stated issue, not the inspection, but new buyers are likely to wonder whether there was a valuation or property problem. We could relist promptly with a brief factual explanation, or pause to update the documents and reconsider the price against recent completed sales.

For the next round, should we favour an offer with current financing evidence, meaningful deposit exposure and shorter contingency periods even if its price is not the highest? I would also like to decide in advance how to handle inspection requests and repair credits rather than negotiating those under pressure.
 
I would relist promptly, but only after agreeing on one short, factual explanation: the buyer did not complete financing and the inspection did not cause the collapse. Mixed answers create more suspicion than the failed sale itself.

For the next offer, compare more than price. Current financing evidence, deposit exposure, contingency deadlines and any appraisal-gap plan could make a modestly lower offer safer than the highest headline number.
 
Do you know which part of financing failed? There is a meaningful difference between the buyer’s circumstances changing and the property not supporting the lender’s valuation. If there was an appraisal gap, lowering the price without looking at recent completed comparables may not solve it.

Also, has the previous agreement been formally closed out, including any deposit issue? That needs clarity under the local jurisdiction before a new commitment.
 
I also would not assume stronger proof of funds removes financing risk. It is only a snapshot, and the lender may still assess the property separately. A better response deadline and earlier financing milestone could be more useful than simply demanding a more impressive letter at offer stage.
 
I disagree slightly with relisting immediately. A short pause can be worthwhile if documents need updating or the listing presentation will otherwise look unchanged except for a return to market. Buyers may interpret speed as seller pressure.

That does not mean hiding the failed transaction. Prepare a clean chronology, refresh anything now out of date, and decide in advance what can be said about the inspection without exceeding whatever disclosure rules apply locally.
 
For the next round, I’d put offers into a simple comparison table: price, deposit, financing condition, inspection protection, response deadline, proposed repair credits and treatment of an appraisal gap. That exposes trade-offs quickly.

I would be wary of rewarding a buyer merely for waiving inspection. A defined inspection period and clear limit on repair negotiations can protect the timetable without inviting a second collapse.
 
On value, use genuinely completed comparables rather than current asking prices, then account for condition and timing as carefully as the available information allows. The failed contract itself is not a completed comparable. It may affect buyer psychology and negotiating tone, but it does not establish a sold price.
 
Theo’s point about seller motivation is fair, although too long a pause can create a different question: what took so long? The middle course is to relaunch when the paperwork and explanation are ready, not according to an arbitrary waiting period.

I’d also settle your repair-credit position before viewings. If the prior inspection revealed minor items, decide what you will address, credit or decline rather than improvising under another deadline.
 
Before relisting, have the relevant local adviser confirm that the first agreement and any deposit exposure are fully resolved; the consequences depend on the contract and jurisdiction. Then ask the agent to request financing evidence appropriate to each buyer and to verify deadlines rather than relying on broad assurances.

The strongest offer may be the one with a credible route through financing and appraisal, not necessarily the highest price or the fewest protections.
 
Back
Top