Before I reply to the broker: Sydney villa yield and closing-cost sanity check

readTheKite

Property investor
The broker has confirmed the asking price, but I still do not know whether the villa carries shared levies. It is a 4-bed Sydney property at A$828,400, with projected rent of A$6,009 a month and an advertised gross yield near 8.7%.

That return sounds strong until ownership and borrowing costs are introduced. I have set aside amounts for an empty period, management, ongoing repairs and a major maintenance item, but I may be overlooking strata or community charges, council and water costs, insurance, purchase expenses or tenant turnover. Before replying, I want to separate the one-off cash needed to buy from the recurring costs and then stress-test the financing. What information would you insist on getting from the broker first?
 
First clarify whether “villa” means standalone title or a strata/community arrangement, because recurring levies could change the model substantially. I’d also separate one-off acquisition costs from annual cash flow, then confirm council and water charges, insurance, any applicable land tax, leasing/tenant-turnover expenses and exactly who pays each outgoing.

I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until the A$6,009 rent is supported by comparable leases. Stress-test lower rent, a longer vacancy, a major repair and higher finance costs; the leveraged cash flow matters more than the 8.7% headline.
 
Back
Top