Bangkok buyer failed financing—relist now at THB 8,640,000?

path.slow

Buyer
Established
Relisting too quickly could make buyers suspect a defect, while waiting or cutting the price could signal more urgency than we actually have. Our Bangkok sale collapsed when the buyer’s funding did not proceed; the inspection had not raised the issue. We are considering returning at THB 8,640,000.

My instinct is to keep that price if the evidence still supports it, but only after checking the paperwork and how the failed deal affects the deposit. If the problem was entirely the buyer’s eligibility, what financial proof and deadlines would you require next time? If an appraisal contributed, would a lower but better-supported offer be the safer choice?
 
I would take a short pause to make sure the paperwork is current, then relist at the same price if completed comparables still support it. A failed buyer loan is not, by itself, evidence that the property is overpriced or defective.

For the next offer, require meaningful financing evidence early and put a clear response deadline on anything still outstanding. Explain the previous collapse plainly rather than letting buyers imagine an inspection issue.
 
The missing detail is why the financing failed. Was it the buyer’s own eligibility, or was there an appraisal gap? Those point to different relisting strategies.

Also, what happened to the deposit under the agreed conditions? Before changing the price, I would have someone familiar with Bangkok transactions examine the financing condition and your deposit exposure. Stronger wording may matter more than a modest discount.
 
I disagree slightly with treating “proof of funds” as the main answer when the next buyer may also need financing. Cash available for a deposit or down payment does not prove the lender will approve the full transaction.

I would compare offers on the financing condition, evidence already obtained, deadline for approval, deposit terms and ability to cover any appraisal gap. A lower offer is only safer if those terms are actually stronger.
 
Since the inspection did not cause the collapse, I would not advertise repair credits or start making concessions pre-emptively. That can create a property concern where none existed.

Price should come back to completed comparables and seller motivation. If comparable sales support THB 8,640,000 and there is no urgent deadline, keep it. If speed matters, decide in advance how much price you would exchange for a shorter, more certain route to completion.
 
There is also a presentation issue: relisting immediately with no visible change can invite low offers from people assuming the seller is under pressure. Refreshing the listing materials and having a concise explanation ready may help separate the failed financing from the condition of the property.

I would not conceal the history, but neither would I over-explain the buyer’s circumstances. State only that financing was not satisfied and the inspection was not the reason.
 
One addition: set your own response deadline for the next offer. Otherwise a buyer can submit attractive headline terms while leaving financing, appraisal and repair discussions open-ended. The precise deposit and condition wording should be checked locally, but commercially you can still decide beforehand which uncertainties you will accept and for how long.
 
Thanks all. The distinction between cash evidence and actual financing readiness is the detail that changed my thinking. I am leaning toward a short pause to refresh the documents, then relisting at THB 8,640,000 if the completed comparables still justify it.

For the next round I will compare the whole offer: financing evidence, appraisal-gap risk, deposit exposure and firm response dates. I also will not offer a repair credit when the inspection was not the issue. The exact conditions will be reviewed with someone familiar with Bangkok transactions before acceptance.
 
Back
Top