Austin retail renovation: contingency on a $162,700 budget

hugo.archer

Property investor
Established
The initial view is that this is a moderate renovation, but I’m hesitant to price it that way before the concealed areas are checked. The working budget is $162,700 for an older 2,530 sq ft Austin retail unit, covering the kitchen and bathrooms, new finishes, electrical review and some energy improvements. There is no planned extension.

Would you hold a larger contingency until access behind the wet areas and walls is confirmed, then reduce it after investigation? A blocked drain route, for example, could change both sequence and cost even without major structural work. I also want the contractor or surveyor to separate exclusions, allowances, permit timing and material lead times, and to address electrical capacity, moisture, plumbing routes and any concealed structural repairs.
 
At this early stage, I’d model a 20% contingency, then consider reducing it once investigative work has exposed the main conditions. Ask contractors to list every exclusion and assumption rather than just describing what is included. I’d want specific answers on panel capacity, kitchen equipment loads, plumbing routes, wall penetrations, signs of moisture and what happens if concealed structural work is found.
 
I wouldn’t settle on 20% before answering two things: are the kitchen and bathrooms staying in their current locations, and can anyone inspect above, below or behind them? Moving drains or discovering that access is blocked could matter more than the age of the finishes. Also clarify whether the $162,700 already contains allowances, because allowances and contingency should not be treated as the same pot.
 
Both percentages can be misleading unless the risks are assigned costs and sequencing consequences. I’d create a short list for electrical, plumbing access, moisture and structural discoveries, then ask each bidder how those items are priced if encountered. Require a separate schedule showing permit assumptions, long-lead materials and when investigative openings occur. That makes it easier to see whether 20% is prudent or simply covering a vague proposal.
 
Back
Top