I have to decide soon whether to stay at my limit. The attraction is a 2-bed Austin apartment priced around $885,000; the concern is that only about $34,000 would remain after the deposit and projected closing expenses.
That reserve must still absorb the move, the first mortgage payment, urgent inspection items and any service charges, while furniture can wait. I would like to keep a meaningful amount untouched rather than allocate the whole sum on day one. How would you set the emergency portion after accounting for normal monthly spending, and would a thinner-than-expected inspection report or high building costs be enough reason to target a lower purchase price?
That reserve must still absorb the move, the first mortgage payment, urgent inspection items and any service charges, while furniture can wait. I would like to keep a meaningful amount untouched rather than allocate the whole sum on day one. How would you set the emergency portion after accounting for normal monthly spending, and would a thinner-than-expected inspection report or high building costs be enough reason to target a lower purchase price?