Austin February inventory: is the 4.5% ask-to-sale gap meaningful?

map.practical

Property investor
February gives a mixed signal, and my concern is that the timelines may not be directly comparable. We are deciding whether to bid now or wait for more spring inventory in Austin. In February 2025, well-presented detached homes appear to have taken about 109 days, projects were slower, and the difference between list and completed prices was roughly 4.5%.

Does that percentage use the original asking price or the final revised one? If it is based on the original figure, the result may mainly reflect reductions and relistings; if it uses the final figure, buyer negotiation may be more relevant. Transaction volume, sample size and neighbourhood-level observations would help us decide whether to act now rather than rely on a citywide average.
 
The definitions matter before reading much into either figure. Is 4.5% measured against the original asking price or the final advertised price? Also, are these homes that closed in February, or homes first listed then? A 109-day sale completed in February reflects buyer behaviour from months earlier. Sample size and transaction volume could change the picture substantially.
 
I’d be cautious about calling this buyer selectivity yet. The apparent difference between renovated homes and projects could simply reflect which properties happened to complete that month. Closed price also won’t necessarily show concessions.

I’d separate active inventory from completed sales and track price reductions, relistings and days on market by neighbourhood. Otherwise several different timelines are being folded into one February snapshot.
 
That’s fair. My 4.5% comparison used the latest visible asking price against the recorded completed price, not the original ask. I was also mixing February closings with what I’m currently seeing among active listings. The neighbourhood samples are small, which probably explains why the citywide story and the individual listings feel inconsistent.

I’ll split the two groups rather than treating them as one trend.
 
For the buying decision, I’d make a simple sheet for only those two neighbourhoods: list date, original ask, latest ask, completed price, days advertised, apparent condition and whether it was relisted. Calculate the sale gap from both original and final asking prices. Keep a note of when each record was captured too, since listing histories and reported figures can be revised.
 
Even with that table, one month won’t distinguish seasonality from a lasting change. Compare February 2025 with later closing periods once they exist, and always show the number of transactions behind each percentage. Any policy or financing event should be attached to its actual timing rather than assumed to explain February.

Meanwhile, I wouldn’t apply the 4.5% citywide gap mechanically to an offer. The closest completed sales in the same neighbourhood and condition bracket are the more relevant starting point.
 
Back
Top