Austin 4-bed villa at $1.37m renting for $3,862/month — what am I missing?

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
I have now added a separate allowance for a major repair, and it makes the investment case look much weaker. This Austin 4-bed villa is priced at $1,370,000 with projected rent of $3,862 per month, or roughly 3.4% gross.

My model already includes vacancy, management and routine maintenance. The building appears sound, but the reserve is only an estimate, and a financing-rate change could erase an already narrow cash flow. Before deciding whether the return is adequate, I need better local figures for parcel taxes, insurance, turnover and likely capital work. I also need to confirm that the $3,862 is supported by achieved rents rather than active listings.

Which of those inputs would you verify first, and how would you stress-test the net cash flow rather than relying on the headline yield?
 
Property tax and insurance would be my first concerns. At only 3.4% gross, neither needs to surprise you by much for the net cash flow to become unattractive. I would use the parcel-specific tax information and an insurance quote rather than percentages from a generic calculator. Also confirm whether a sale could change the tax basis; that can be jurisdiction- and property-specific.
 
How firm is the $3,862 rent? Is it supported by recently signed leases for comparable 4-bed homes, or is it an asking-rent estimate? Vacancy allowance does not protect the model if the starting rent is optimistic. I’d also compare how long similar homes remain available and whether tenants commonly renew, because turnover means both downtime and make-ready costs.
 
Are you buying with cash or financing it? “Net yield” before debt and cash flow after debt answer different questions. Run the financing at your expected terms, then stress both the interest cost and one extended vacancy. With such a narrow gross return, leverage could turn a merely low-yielding purchase into a property requiring regular cash contributions.
 
I’m not sure vacancy is the main hidden cost here. A 4-bed property can have substantial recurring upkeep even when the structure looks fine: exterior work, landscaping and larger mechanical systems can all matter. The lease also needs to make clear which ongoing costs belong to the tenant. That said, I agree with Amir that the rent estimate must be proven first.
 
Don’t combine routine maintenance and major replacements into one comfortable-looking percentage. List the expensive components separately, note their present condition, and model when each might need work. If the villa has any association charges or shared-building obligations, obtain the current amount and information on reserves or possible assessments. If it is fully standalone, that concern may not apply.
 
The price-to-rent relationship is the bigger warning for me. Even before expenses, annual rent is only $46,344 against a $1,370,000 purchase. This may be priced primarily for owner-occupiers rather than rental investors. Appreciation could still be part of someone’s thesis, but I would not use hoped-for appreciation to excuse weak current cash flow.
 
I’d turn this into a simple decision sheet: verified annual rent, realistic vacancy, management, parcel-specific tax, insurance quote, tenant turnover, routine maintenance, major-component reserve and any association cost. Calculate net operating income before financing, then test debt separately. Set your minimum acceptable yield before filling in the optimistic case; otherwise it is easy to keep adjusting assumptions until the deal appears acceptable.
 
This has exposed the main gap: I have an expected rent, but not enough signed-lease evidence, and I still need property-specific tax and insurance figures. Financing is not fixed either, so I was mixing operating yield with eventual cash flow. I’ll verify those items, separate routine work from major replacements, and test a longer vacancy. If the deal only works by preserving the headline 3.4% or assuming appreciation, I’ll pass.
 
Back
Top