Austin 4-bed student housing: is 5% below asking too aggressive after 18 days?

mae.meadow

Real estate agent
Paying close to $1,220,000 without solid closed-sale support feels uncomfortable, but opening too low could end the conversation before I understand the seller’s position. The Austin property is four-bedroom student housing, has been listed for 18 days and appears to require some work.

I am considering $1,159,000, or 5% below the asking price, backed by proof of financing and flexibility over completion. My explanation would be brief: the figure reflects the current condition and the limited sales evidence available, rather than a catalogue of faults. Is there a better way to test the seller’s motivation without weakening the offer?

I can adjust timing and keep the response period reasonably short. I am much less willing to expose the deposit by removing inspection, financing or appraisal protection before the extent of the work and any existing student leases are clear. If one term had to be narrowed rather than waived, which would be the least risky?
 
Five percent below is not inherently aggressive, especially when the completed comparables are unclear and work is needed. Keep the explanation short: the offer reflects the property’s present condition and the sales evidence available to you. Don’t submit a long list criticising every outdated feature.

I would retain inspection and financing protection. Also give the offer a reasonable response deadline so it remains a real proposal rather than an open-ended negotiating tool.
 
Is it currently occupied, and are any student leases part of the transaction? That could change how I viewed both the price and the completion date. I’d also want to know whether “needs updating” means cosmetic finishes or issues likely to affect inspection, insurance or appraisal. A 5% discount can disappear quickly if the work is more substantial than expected.
 
One more point: I wouldn’t lead with a request for repair credits as well as the lower price unless you already know the scope. Offer based on the visible condition, inspect properly, then seek a credit only for material findings you could not reasonably price beforehand. Otherwise the seller may assume $1,159,000 is merely the first of several reductions.
 
I partly disagree on waiting to mention repairs. You should not demand an invented credit now, but the offer can state that the price accounts for known cosmetic updating while inspection rights remain intact for undisclosed or larger defects. That distinction helps prevent the seller later arguing that every inspection finding was already reflected in the initial discount.

Ask the agent what matters besides price. A seller who values timing may prefer your flexible completion date, making the lower number easier to accept.
 
The appraisal gap deserves as much attention as the inspection. If completed sales are hard to verify, there is a real possibility that your lender’s valuation will not support even the accepted price. Decide before offering whether you would contribute any extra cash, and cap that exposure rather than making a broad promise.

Likewise, understand when the deposit becomes vulnerable under the contract used in Austin. Exact wording and deadlines matter, so have the local contract terms explained before signing rather than assuming a contingency automatically protects you.
 
I’d submit the 5%-below offer with financing proof, a defined response deadline, inspection and financing protection, and no unlimited appraisal-gap commitment. Make the flexible completion date prominent. If the seller counters, you can trade price against something they value instead of raising your number blindly. Eighteen days on the market is useful context, but not enough by itself to reveal motivation.
 
Back
Top