Austin 2-bed condo at $205,000 and $1,074/month — does it work?

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
If the assumptions are even slightly generous, this could become a condo that costs me money each month. The asking price is $205,000 for a 2-bed in Austin, and the projected rent is $1,074 a month. That gives the attractive-looking 6.3% gross figure, but using eleven paid months reduces the income before any ownership costs are counted.

I have budgeted for management, regular unit repairs, an empty period and a separate maintenance cushion. I am less confident about Austin property tax, insurance, HOA dues and possible association work. Which of those tends to upset a thin cash-flow model, and how would financing affect your decision?
 
Using eleven months of rent, gross income is $11,814, so the yield is only about 5.8% before any expenses. That makes the 6.3% headline fairly misleading for the decision.

I would focus first on property tax, insurance and HOA dues, then ask whether the association has adequate reserves or any major work looming. At this rent-to-price ratio, those items could consume the margin before ordinary maintenance even enters the picture.
 
Is the $1,074 an existing lease figure or just expected market rent? Also, what are the HOA dues, what do they cover, and are there any rental restrictions? Those answers matter more than choosing a target net yield in isolation.

Financing is another missing piece. A deal that is marginal without debt can become negative cash flow quickly once borrowing costs are included.
 
The $1,074 is expected rent rather than a signed lease, so I agree it needs stronger support. I also shouldn’t treat the 6.3% figure as investable yield when the eleven-month version is already below that before expenses.

My next pass will separate HOA costs from my own maintenance reserve and use actual property-tax and insurance figures rather than broad assumptions. I’ll also look at association reserves and possible building work before deciding whether the purchase price can be justified.
 
Before deciding whether to proceed, I would price one complete tenant change rather than treat the vacant month as the whole downside. Lost rent may coincide with cleaning, minor repairs, advertising and a new letting or management fee, so several costs can land at once.

The other trade-off is specific to a condo: a healthy unit does not protect you from weak association reserves or an assessment for shared work. I would test turnover and a building-level expense separately. If either one removes the annual profit, the $205,000 price leaves too little room despite the quoted yield.
 
Build three versions before setting a required net yield: expected occupancy, one turnover with related costs, and a stressed case combining lower rent or extra vacancy with a large repair or association expense. Run each both with and without the proposed financing.

Then compare annual cash flow after property tax, insurance, HOA dues, management and reserves—not just net yield. If modest changes make the cash flow negative, the practical choices are a lower purchase price, higher well-supported rent, different financing, or passing on the condo.
 
Back
Top