Auckland villa snapshot — August 2025

I’m deciding whether these Auckland villa figures are solid enough to maintain as a monthly community snapshot. For August 2025, the working inputs are 17 days’ indicative time on market, asking-price movement of -2.5%, and visible financing sensitivity around NZ$528,000. This is not an official index.

Please add completed-sale evidence, inventory changes and neighbourhood differences, with a source and revision date where possible. Clearly labelled on-the-ground observations are also welcome.
 
Before treating those figures as comparable, how is the sample defined? In particular, does 17 days run from first listing to agreement, withdrawal or another event? And is the 2.5% movement measured from the original asking price or the most recent one? The NZ$528,000 figure also needs a label: sale-price band, borrowing amount or something else.
 
The villa focus could distort an Auckland-wide reading even if each number is accurate. Neighbourhood and price-band mix matter, as does what counts as a villa rather than another property type. I’d split the entries by neighbourhood first and show the number of observations in each group. Otherwise a change in the mix could look like a market movement.
 
I wouldn’t wait for completed sales before publishing it. Listing data can still be useful as a current indicator, provided the heading and notes say exactly what it measures. Completed sales arrive on a different timeline and answer a different question.

I would, however, avoid presenting the three inputs as one market signal. Keep separate lines for asking-price changes, time on market and financing sensitivity, each with its own sample definition and revision date.
 
I agree that listing data can be published before completed sales arrive, but I would hesitate to let the August 2025 figures keep changing without a visible record. Later corrections could otherwise make an old snapshot appear more reliable than it was at the time.

Keep the original August sample, publish it as listing evidence, and add dated amendments as completed results become available. Sale submissions could record neighbourhood, property type, original and revised asking prices where known, completion price, key dates and source. Inventory comparisons also need both observation dates. That staged approach preserves a current indicator while allowing neighbourhood and price-band analysis to improve later.
 
Back
Top