Auckland listings: the headline and the street-level picture - second opinion?

romy.wells

Homeowner
Established
I would like the 63 days of visibility to give me a clean Auckland market signal. The obstacle is that my sample may be measuring listing behaviour rather than completed sales.

The properties range from NZ$752,400 to NZ$1,129,000 and are mostly country homes. My initial thought was that energy performance might distinguish faster-moving homes from stale stock, but condition, buyer financing and seller motivation could explain more. A listing can also disappear because it was withdrawn or relisted, so removal alone proves little.

I am considering comparisons with recent completed sales, new-listing volume and price-cut dates while keeping the original marketing clock. Should I also redraw the neighbourhood boundaries more tightly before drawing conclusions, and which property differences would you control for first?
 
One clarification: the 63 days is time visible, not confirmed time to a completed sale. A listing disappearing could mean sold, withdrawn or relisted, so I don’t want to count every removal as a transaction. I’m also wondering whether price cuts should reset the clock or remain part of the original marketing period.
 
I wouldn’t make energy performance the leading explanation yet. With country homes, the same price can cover very different land, access and building condition. Those differences can also affect buyer financing. Keep the original marketing period when a price changes, but record the cut date separately; the delay before that cut may reveal more about seller expectations than the final days online.
 
What exactly are you including within “Auckland” and “country homes”? Neighbourhood boundaries could distort this quickly, especially if one part of the sample has thin new-listing volume. I’d split it into smaller areas before interpreting 63 days. Also compare completed sales only with genuinely similar properties, rather than assuming everything inside the price bracket competes directly.
 
I agree on splitting the areas, but I wouldn’t dismiss energy performance. It may be acting as a proxy for overall condition: a home that appears easier to heat and maintain can reassure buyers even when there is no neat performance comparison. Still, test it rather than infer it. Track heating or insulation information, visible condition, first asking price, cut timing, withdrawal and completed-sale outcome in separate columns.
 
The cleanest next step is two views of the same sample. First, keep every listing from its original appearance through cuts, withdrawal or sale. Second, compare only recent completed sales within tight location and property-condition groups. If energy-related differences remain after that, the theory strengthens. If they disappear once relistings, motivated sellers and difficult-to-finance properties are separated, then 63 days was masking several different stories.
 
Back
Top