Auckland first home: is NZ$64,350 enough to keep after closing?

timo_lowe

Homeowner
I’ve now estimated the cash remaining after purchase, which raises a different question. On a 4-bed detached home in Auckland costing about NZ$899,200, I expect to retain around NZ$64,350 once the deposit and current closing estimate are paid.

Before deciding whether that is comfortable, what would you verify in the closing-cost breakdown? I may still need to account for moving, the insurance excess, the first mortgage payment and any urgent items identified by the inspection. My instinct is to ring-fence an emergency amount, deal only with repairs that cannot wait, and furnish the unused bedrooms later. Is there a better way to set those priorities without stretching the purchase price to my absolute limit?
 
I’d protect the emergency fund first, including enough room for the first mortgage payment and the insurance excess. Then reserve separate amounts for moving and only inspection-identified repairs that affect safety, weatherproofing or further deterioration. Furniture can be bought gradually; a 4-bed house does not need to be fully furnished on day one. The inspection findings should determine whether NZ$64,350 is comfortable or already partly committed.
 
I wouldn’t divide the whole sum yet. First ask what is excluded from your closing estimate: moving, insurance, any service charges, and the gap before regular household spending settles down. Also, is NZ$64,350 left after the first mortgage payment, or are you counting on income arriving before it is due?

Once the inspection arrives, price the urgent items and use that to set your maximum offer. If the repair list would eat into the emergency portion, buying slightly cheaper is the sensible caveat—not excessive caution.
 
Back
Top