Auckland duplexes: is 116 days online overstating time to sell?

DevYork

Seller
I’m looking at Auckland duplexes advertised between NZ$1,485,000 and NZ$2,228,000. The listings still online suggest roughly 116 days to find a buyer, with many of the outliers apparently linked to lease length. Has anything shifted this month, or is this mainly survivor bias from studying active listings? I’d be interested in whether recent completed sales show the same timeline.
 
Active listings will usually make the market look slower because the quick sales disappear from that sample. Withdrawn and relisted properties can also distort the count. I’d compare recent completed sales with their original listing dates, then note any price cuts rather than relying on the current advertisement date alone.
 
You’ve already identified lease length, but it is still unclear whether the sample combines neighbourhoods and property conditions that attract different buyers. I’d split completed from unfinished duplexes, then record tenure and any remaining lease on the same basis.

Also check how much new stock arrived during those 116 days. A property facing a sudden increase in alternatives tells you something different from one sitting in a thin market.
 
That may be the gap. I grouped Auckland listings by property type and price, but haven’t yet split the sample by neighbourhood, condition or withdrawn/relisted status. I’ll rebuild it around completed sales first, then use active listings only as a comparison. I also need to distinguish a genuine sale from a listing that simply vanished.
 
I wouldn’t assume lease length explains most of the spread until you control for asking-price changes. A motivated seller cutting early may complete sooner than a better property that sits at an ambitious price. Buyer financing could also affect higher-priced duplex deals, but public listing dates alone won’t tell you why a particular transaction took longer.
 
A useful worksheet would have one row per property: neighbourhood, condition, tenure or lease detail, first advertised date, price-cut date, final advertised price, completed-sale result where available, and whether it was withdrawn or relisted. Compare like with like and report a range as well as the 116-day figure. That should show whether this month changed or whether the original sample was mostly stale stock.
 
Back
Top