Auckland 175 m² duplex at NZ$1,939,000 — how would you adjust the comparables?

miro_ash

Property manager
Established
I can anchor the valuation to one completed sale, or work from three current listings. Neither feels comfortable: the sale may be an outlier, while the listings show expectations rather than achieved prices.

The property is an Auckland 5-bed duplex of about 175 m² in average condition, offered at NZ$1,939,000. Its light and position appeal to me, but the finishes are dated and I have not yet confirmed the exact school catchment.

How would you adjust for usable floor area and condition without pretending the evidence is more precise than it is? I’m also trying to establish whether title arrangements, recurring fees, parking, private outdoor space or the immediate street position creates the largest difference from the completed comparable. A local appraisal will be part of the decision once those facts are confirmed.
 
I would build around the completed sale and use the three listings only to understand the sellers’ current expectations. A simple price-per-square-metre adjustment could mislead if the extra area is in bedrooms or circulation space rather than better living areas.

The first missing fact for me is the exact title or tenure arrangement, including any recurring charges. That can affect comparability before you even reach the condition adjustment.
 
Also, are parking and private outdoor space confirmed for both this duplex and the completed comparable? With only one sale, a mismatch on either could be mistaken for a floor-area difference. I’d put those features in separate columns rather than burying them in one overall percentage.
 
I’d put micro-location and verified school catchment ahead of service charges unless the charges are substantial. Two superficially similar Auckland properties can appeal to different buyers because of the precise street position and catchment boundary.

For condition, I wouldn’t start with an arbitrary percentage. List the dated items, estimate the scale of work needed, and then consider the inconvenience and uncertainty as a separate negotiating factor. Average condition is too broad by itself. Parking, usable outdoor space, natural light and room layout should then be compared individually.
 
That helps. I don’t yet have enough detail on the title arrangement, recurring charges, parking, or whether the outdoor area is private, so I was getting ahead of myself by focusing on floor area. I’ll verify those points and the exact school catchment before tightening the range.

My next step will be a grid with the completed sale as the main reference, the three asking comparables shown separately, and explicit rows for condition, layout, light, parking, outdoor space and micro-location. I’ll keep transaction costs outside the property valuation rather than blending them into the adjustment.
 
That separation should make the weak spots obvious. I’d produce a range rather than one figure: a lower case if the tenure, charges, parking or outdoor-space details compare poorly; a central case based on confirmed similarities; and an upper case only if the light, catchment and micro-location are genuinely superior.

Then test whether NZ$1,939,000 still looks defensible when the completed sale carries most of the weight. If the conclusion changes dramatically with a small floor-area adjustment, the evidence is probably too thin for a precise valuation, and the local appraisal becomes especially important.
 
Back
Top