Auckland 1-bed at NZ$841,500 and NZ$3,981/month — does the yield hold up?

walksAndThread

Property investor
Established
I’m assessing a 1-bed Auckland apartment at NZ$841,500. Expected rent is NZ$3,981 per month, giving a headline gross yield near 5.7%. The building looks sound, although energy performance could materially affect costs and tenant appeal.

My conservative model uses only eleven months of rent and deducts management, routine maintenance, vacancy and a reserve for one larger repair. Even so, I suspect the reserve is light. Which Auckland cost am I most likely overlooking—body corporate charges, insurance, rates or tenant turnover? Also, what net yield would make this risk worthwhile to you, particularly if financing costs moved against the deal?
 
For an apartment, I’d focus first on the full body corporate budget and any planned major works. A building can look sound while still facing expensive shared maintenance. Also establish whether insurance is included in the levy or whether your model duplicates or omits part of it.

Eleven months’ rent is NZ$43,791, only about 5.2% of the purchase price before any expenses. That leaves less room than the 5.7% headline suggests.
 
How firm is the NZ$3,981 rent estimate? Is it based on comparable signed tenancies in the same building, or an asking figure? With a 1-bed, even a modest rent miss plus turnover costs could matter more than tweaking the repair reserve.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat one vacant month as conservative. If tenants stay for several years it may be too harsh; if turnover is frequent, it may be too optimistic once cleaning, advertising and the gap between tenancies are included.

I also disagree with choosing a target net yield before modelling the loan. The same property can be tolerable with little debt and painful when financing costs rise. Run the cash flow at today’s assumed financing cost and at a clearly higher one.
 
Before deciding, ask for the body corporate accounts, current levies, maintenance plans and any discussion of upcoming work. Then separate recurring expenses from irregular building costs rather than hiding everything in one repair percentage.

I’d also test three rent cases: NZ$3,981, a lower achieved rent, and a short vacancy after turnover. Add rates, management, owner-paid utilities if any, insurance not already covered, and apartment-specific maintenance. The resulting cash surplus matters more than selecting an arbitrary net-yield threshold.
 
Back
Top