Atlanta villa inspection: $47,000 credit, price reduction, or seller repairs?

BriskPlan

Real estate agent
Established
Inspection on a 2,050 sq ft Atlanta villa found several genuine but manageable issues, with estimates totaling about $47,000. The seller has offered to arrange the work. I would rather control contractor selection and quality after closing, but I’m weighing a closing credit against a price reduction.

A credit seems more useful for actually funding repairs, assuming the lender permits that level of concession. A lower price may be cleaner but leaves me paying for the work separately. I’m also conscious of the response deadline, the inspection protection, and not putting the deposit at risk by handling the timing badly.

For anyone who faced this choice, what mattered most once the deadline became real? Am I overlooking the appraisal or financing angle?
 
If the lender allows the credit and the appraisal supports the contract price, I’d prefer the credit. It preserves cash for the actual work, whereas a price reduction usually produces a much smaller near-term benefit when financing is involved.

But get the lender’s answer in writing before requesting $47,000. A permitted seller concession can depend on the financing, and an appraisal gap could change what is workable.
 
I would first separate the $47,000 into urgent defects, ordinary maintenance, and improvements you would choose anyway. An estimate total is not automatically the same as a fair price adjustment.

Also look at completed comparables in similar condition. If the villa is already priced below renovated properties, asking for the entire amount may be difficult. Do you know why the seller prefers arranging repairs rather than giving a credit?
 
That distinction between urgent work and later work is helpful. My preference for a credit is mainly about controlling scope and contractors, not assuming every dollar in the estimates should come off the deal.

The response deadline is making me want one simple number, but I can see how that could weaken the request. I’m going to get a definite lender answer before agreeing to any concession structure or letting the inspection protection expire.
 
I’ll push back slightly on avoiding seller repairs altogether. If something affects financing, insurance, safety, or the appraiser’s acceptance of the property, completing it before closing may be more practical than a credit that cannot be used.

The problem is vague wording such as “seller will repair.” If that route stays on the table, the agreement should identify the exact scope, who performs it, when it must be completed, what evidence is provided, and whether you can reinspect. The details of your contract and Atlanta transaction should be checked locally, especially before the deadline.
 
Ask the seller to explain the motivation. They may be protecting the recorded sale price, expecting to complete the work for less, or reacting to concession limits. Those possibilities call for different responses.

I’d present options rather than one all-or-nothing demand: seller completes any items needed before closing; buyer receives an allowable credit for priority repairs; and the price is adjusted only for the remainder that cannot be credited. Tie each figure to an estimate. At the same time, compare the resulting price with completed sales so an appraisal gap does not turn today’s solution into a financing problem.
 
One more caution: don’t let negotiations drift beyond the response deadline on the assumption that everyone is still talking. Confirm the lender’s limit, identify which items truly matter, and make sure any extension or resolution is properly recorded before the inspection protection changes. Contractor control is valuable, but protecting the deposit and preserving a workable exit are more important than winning the full $47,000.
 
Back
Top