Atlanta four-beds: is 88 days a real market signal or an active-listing bias?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I’m looking at four-bedroom Atlanta properties listed between $328,000 and $492,000 this month. My active-listing sample is sitting at roughly 88 days before finding a buyer, with the slowest cases seemingly affected by financing costs. Is that broadly consistent with recent completed sales, or am I overweighting older homes that remain online while quicker deals disappear from view?
 
Active listings will naturally skew older because the fast movers leave the sample. I’d compare them with recently completed deals and also count withdrawn properties; otherwise a stale listing that never sells looks like evidence of a normal 88-day sale. Price cuts matter too: original list date versus the date a meaningful reduction brought in a buyer can tell different stories.
 
Before drawing conclusions from the 88-day figure, I would settle the geographic boundary. “Atlanta” can combine neighbourhoods with very different buyer pools, so I am not convinced active-listing bias is the main problem yet.

Condition also needs its own split. A renovated four-bedroom home and one needing major work are not close alternatives merely because both sit within the $328,000 to $492,000 range. Financing eligibility can widen that difference further. I would narrow the area and condition first, then compare completed sales and price-cut dates.
 
I wouldn’t assume financing costs explain most of the outliers without seeing when offers arrived. Seller motivation can produce the same pattern: an ambitious initial price, several quiet weeks, then a cut. Conversely, a well-priced home may still take longer if the likely buyers are especially payment-sensitive. Completed prices and price-cut timing should help distinguish those cases.
 
A useful next pass would be three small groups within the same neighbourhood boundaries: completed sales, still-active listings and withdrawals. Record original price, latest price, condition and days until the first cut. Then note new-listing volume during the month. That won’t make the sample perfect, but it should show whether 88 days reflects buyer demand or simply the stock left behind.
 
Back
Top