Athens mixed-use listings: normal variation or a shift in April 2025?

walksAndCompass

Property investor
For April 2025, I narrowed my Athens search to mixed-use buildings rather than relying on a citywide figure. Asking prices run from €323,800 to €485,800, with €404,800 as the central figure I’m tracking, and the current marketing period is roughly 68 days. Vacancy appears to influence pricing more than the monthly headline does. Is this ordinary variation between individual buildings, or an early change in this part of the Athens market?
 
On those figures alone, I would read it as property-level variation. Mixed-use buildings can differ substantially in vacant space, condition and income potential, so the price range and 68-day period do not establish a direction. Recent completed sales would be more persuasive than asking prices, especially if comparable buildings sold after price cuts.
 
How narrowly have you drawn the neighbourhood boundaries? Even a small change in the streets included could alter the mix of occupied and vacant buildings. I’d also separate buildings needing major work from those that can be used immediately. Otherwise vacancy may look like the main factor when condition is partly driving the same discount.
 
That’s fair, although I wouldn’t dismiss the listings entirely. A shift can appear there before enough completed sales are available. I’d watch whether new-listing volume is rising, when reductions occur, and whether older properties sell or are simply withdrawn. Repeated early price cuts across similar buildings would mean more than one unusually motivated seller.
 
Buyer financing could muddy that interpretation. A building may attract interest but remain advertised because the buyer cannot complete on the original timetable or terms. Seller motivation matters too: one vacant building priced for a quick exit is not comparable with an occupied property whose owner can wait. Do you know whether the 68 days covers active listings only, or also withdrawn stock?
 
I’d keep the conclusion open and track the same group into the next period. Record original asking price, reduction date, vacancy, condition, neighbourhood, withdrawal and completed-sale outcome separately. If marketing times lengthen while new supply and withdrawals rise, that supports a broader change. If the difference continues to cluster around vacancy and condition, the property-level explanation remains stronger.
 
Back
Top