Ask an agent in France: common transaction surprises?

I work around the Paris property market and keep seeing the same misunderstanding: pricing, negotiation, financing and regulated advice get treated as one service when different professionals may be handling different parts. That can leave buyers unsure who produced a figure, who holds a document, or whose interests are being represented.

I’m opening a practical Q&A on those gaps. Please include the jurisdiction and property type. I’ll distinguish personal experience from regulated advice, and local professionals are welcome to explain where their process differs.
 
Paris apartment. If the selling agent supports the asking price with other current listings, what should a buyer request to understand whether that is meaningful pricing evidence rather than just similar asking prices? I’d also like to know when financing timing should be raised. Before negotiating, or only once an offer is being discussed?
 
I’d push back on treating current listings alone as proof of value: they show the seller’s competition, not necessarily what buyers ultimately accepted. Ask what makes each comparison genuinely comparable—condition, floor, layout and location—and who prepared the analysis.

Raise financing timing before the negotiation becomes detailed. Also ask in writing who the agent represents, whether any conflict exists, which professional is responsible for financing or regulated guidance, and who retains each document. The exact answers depend on the French transaction and the professionals involved.
 
Back
Top