Are Tokyo buyers negotiating more after 98 days on market?

cai_bloom

Property investor
The Tokyo studio market looks split rather than uniformly slow. My concern is that the apparent 98-day marketing period may combine genuine long-running listings with withdrawn and relisted stock.

The asking range is roughly ¥125,500,000 to ¥188,200,000, but uncertainty over building reserves and seller motivation could matter more than the headline time on market. If continuously listed studios are selling below their original ask, that would suggest real negotiating room. If most of the older stock is merely disappearing and returning, I would treat the 98 days cautiously.

How tightly should I draw the neighbourhood boundaries, and what sale evidence would help distinguish those two cases?
 
Ninety-eight days alone would not convince me that buyers have more leverage. A listing can sit because the seller is testing the price, the condition narrows the audience, or financing is awkward. It can also disappear without becoming a completed sale. I’d compare original ask, timing of any reductions, final price, and whether competing stock was withdrawn.
 
How tightly are you drawing the neighbourhood boundaries? At that price range, even nearby studios may not be comparable if the building condition and reserve position differ. I’d also separate listings that stayed continuously available from those that were removed and returned. Otherwise the apparent 98 days may understate the full marketing period.
 
I agree on separating relisted property, but I wouldn’t assume every long-marketed studio has hidden weakness. New-listing volume matters too: a sound unit can remain available if several credible alternatives arrive at once. Seller motivation is probably the missing piece. A price cut after a long quiet period can indicate flexibility; no cut may simply mean the owner is prepared to wait.
 
That’s fair. A useful comparison sheet would group only genuinely similar buildings and record condition, reserve clarity, first asking price, each reduction date, withdrawals, relisting, and completed price where available. I’d also note whether buyer financing affected the timeline. Without those distinctions, “98 days” mixes patient sellers, stale stock, and transactions that may actually be negotiable.
 
Back
Top