Are Rio buyers negotiating more after 113 days on market?

saveTheInk

First-time buyer
The Rio de Janeiro market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow. For detached homes asking roughly R$2,957,000–R$4,435,000, I’m seeing about 113 days on market. Renovated properties seem to move quickly, while those needing work sit longer and receive cuts.

I’m trying to decide whether 113 days now gives buyers meaningful negotiating room or merely reflects condition and ambitious initial pricing. Financing costs may also separate serious buyers from browsers. Has anyone seen recent completed sales where the final price can be compared with the public asking history? Please include the neighbourhood and condition, since broad Rio comparisons can be misleading.
 
I wouldn’t treat 113 days by itself as proof that buyers have more leverage. A home can sit because the first asking price was unrealistic, then sell near a later reduced price. That is different from a buyer negotiating a large discount at the table.

How are you defining the neighbourhood boundaries, and does the 113-day figure include withdrawn and relisted homes?
 
Also, I’d separate renovated, habitable-but-dated, and genuinely renovation-heavy properties. Lumping the last two together could hide the pattern you’re describing. The useful comparison would be original ask, dates of each reduction, last ask, completed price and whether financing was involved. Without that sequence, an apparent buyer discount may really be a delayed seller correction.
 
I’m not convinced renovated automatically means correctly priced. A polished interior can attract attention quickly, but buyers may not value the renovation at what the seller spent—or may plan to change it anyway. Seller motivation matters more once a listing has sat: is the owner prepared to transact, or simply testing the market? That distinction could explain why two homes with the same 113 days produce very different negotiations.
 
What changed my view was how easily two sellers at 113 days could have completely different intentions. I’d follow a small set of genuinely comparable homes within narrow neighbourhood boundaries, noting condition, first asking price, every reduction, withdrawals, relistings and any verified completed price.

Add new listings to the same record. If fresh alternatives keep arriving while older stock remains, that gives buyers more choice; if supply is thin, the seller’s timetable may matter far more than the headline market time.
 
There’s one caveat to that approach: public asking histories can make relisted stock look newer than it is, while withdrawn homes may disappear before revealing whether the seller rejected offers or simply changed plans. I’d use the 113 days as a prompt to investigate motivation, not as an automatic discount formula. Ask when the last cut occurred and whether the seller has a timeline; those answers may be more useful than the headline market time.
 
Back
Top