Are condition and maintenance distorting Bengaluru townhouse prices?

kit_reese

Homeowner
Established
I’m trying to isolate whether condition is driving Bengaluru townhouse pricing, but the available figures mix seller price cuts with actual buyer outcomes. The properties I’m following are advertised from ₹17,700,000 to ₹26,550,000, with an apparent 110-day marketing period and downward movement of about 7.1%.

My suspicion is that deferred maintenance and future community costs explain much of the spread. That conclusion may be wrong if the 7.1% mostly records reductions in asking prices, relisted stock or differences between neighbourhoods rather than completed transactions.

Could people share specific local examples, identifying the area and kind of townhouse? Please also say whether the number came from a closed deal, a revised advertisement or a negotiation still in progress, and when any price reduction occurred.
 
For Whitefield townhouses, I would separate visible condition from ongoing community maintenance. Two similar-looking homes can carry very different future costs, so buyers may discount one more heavily without that saying much about area-wide demand. Neighbourhood boundaries matter too: listings described broadly as Whitefield may not be close substitutes.
 
What exactly does the 7.1% measure: original list to current ask, or original list to completed sale? The 110 days also needs withdrawn and relisted stock included, otherwise stale listings can appear new. Buyer financing could further lengthen the timeline without producing a larger final discount.
 
I’m not convinced maintenance is the main driver. It may simply be exposing seller motivation or an unrealistic starting price. I’d build a small comparison for one tightly defined neighbourhood and one townhouse format: original ask, first price-cut date, current status, apparent condition, and whether the listing was withdrawn or completed. If the condition gap remains after controlling for initial overpricing and time listed, the maintenance explanation becomes much stronger.
 
Back
Top