Are buyers negotiating more in Buenos Aires after 43 days for a three-bed?

timo_budgets

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I’m deciding whether to offer now or wait for sellers to cut. Buenos Aires feels split rather than uniformly fast or slow: new-build three-bedroom flats around ARS 199,900,000–ARS 299,900,000 seem to be reaching roughly 43 days on market, while properties with a clear answer on lease length move differently.

Listing volume is up, but not the number I would seriously consider. Has anyone tracked recent completed sales against their public asking-price history, including listings that disappeared rather than showing a reduction?
 
At 43 days I’d negotiate, but I wouldn’t assume the seller is under pressure yet. A completed sale below the last advertised price can mean a genuine discount, or simply that the original ask was unrealistic. Withdrawn and relisted stock makes the visible days-on-market figure especially weak. I’d base the opening offer on comparable condition and micro-location, not the headline listing count.
 
Which neighbourhoods are you grouping together, and are the flats actually comparable on condition? Crossing even a neighbourhood boundary can change the pool of buyers, while “new-build” can cover everything from ready-to-occupy units to properties with unresolved practical details. Also, is the lease question about an existing tenant? That could explain the different pace more than negotiation appetite.
 
I partly disagree that 43 days is enough reason to open aggressively. If the better flats are scarce within the larger batch of listings, sellers of those units may feel validated rather than pressured. The useful signal is what happens next: an early price cut suggests a seller testing the market, whereas repeated relisting without a meaningful change may show they are willing to wait.
 
Buyer financing and seller motivation also matter. Two identical asking histories can produce very different negotiations if one buyer can complete cleanly and one seller needs certainty on timing. Before choosing a percentage, ask the agent four factual questions: when it first went live, whether it was previously withdrawn, whether any offers were rejected, and what completion timetable the seller wants. Answers may be incomplete, but inconsistencies are informative.
 
The practical way to test this is to keep a small table only for genuine alternatives: original ask, each price change, withdrawal or relisting date, condition, exact area, occupancy or lease position, and any stated timing preference. Then make one evidence-based offer on the best candidate rather than treating all 43-day listings alike. If the seller refuses without a counteroffer, waiting may be sensible; a counteroffer reveals more than another week of portal watching.
 
Back
Top