Are buyers negotiating more after 83 days on Utrecht five-bed listings?

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
There are more Utrecht listings now, but still not many I would actually buy. The market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow: five-bed student housing around €423,200–€634,800 seems to be sitting for roughly 83 days.

Does that length of time now create real negotiating room, or does the desirable stock still sell close to ask? I’m especially interested in recent completed sales where the final price differed from the visible asking-price history.
 
After 83 days I would negotiate, but I wouldn’t assume the seller is ready to accept less. Time on market can reflect condition, an optimistic initial price or a property being withdrawn and relisted. Compare genuinely similar completed sales, then make an offer you can justify rather than applying one percentage discount to everything.
 
Which neighbourhood boundaries are you using, and are these properties ready for occupation? A renovated five-bed place and one needing substantial work should not be treated as the same market just because the bedroom count and asking price overlap. I’d also separate continuous listings from anything that disappeared and came back.
 
I’m not convinced more listings automatically mean more leverage. If the added supply is mostly compromised stock, buyers may simply ignore it while the few good properties remain competitive. Seller motivation matters more: a price reduction after several quiet weeks may be informative, whereas an unchanged asking price after 83 days tells you little by itself.
 
Agreed on separating the stock, though condition can create an opportunity if the asking price already reflects the work. Ana, do you know when the price cuts occurred? A reduction early in the listing followed by months of inactivity is different from a fresh cut around day 83. Buyer financing is another missing piece because a strong, straightforward offer can matter even without being the highest.
 
For practical next steps, make a small comparison sheet: original ask, current ask, uninterrupted days listed, any withdrawal period, condition, precise area and completed price where available. Keep five-bed properties together but flag major differences rather than averaging them away. Then ask the selling agent directly about timing and the seller’s preferred completion date; their answer may reveal flexibility without proving it.
 
One caution on the completed examples: the public asking history and the eventual sale price still won’t explain every concession or condition attached to the deal. I’d use those sales to set a range, not to claim that every 83-day listing deserves the same reduction. If several close substitutes remain available, though, that is a much firmer basis for negotiating.
 
Back
Top