Are Austin buyers negotiating more after 21 days on market?

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
The Austin market feels split rather than simply fast or slow. I’m looking at apartments in the $468,000–$702,000 range, and many seem to reach roughly 21 days on market. Properties with a clear position on rental regulation appear to move differently.

Is 21 days now enough to justify negotiating below ask? I’d especially value recent completed-sale comparisons where the final price differed from the visible asking-price history.
 
Twenty-one days alone would not tell me much. A seller who listed ambitiously may negotiate, while a well-priced property could still have competing interest. I’d compare completed sales within the same neighbourhood boundaries, then separate original condition from renovated units. Also note when any price cut occurred; a reduction just before day 21 changes the picture.
 
Twenty-one days is tempting as a negotiating signal, but the seller’s reason for moving would matter more to me. A fixed deadline may support a different offer from a seller who is simply testing the market.

Are the nearby properties genuinely comparable in condition and financing eligibility? I would also count withdrawn stock and fresh listings, not just completed sales. Rental restrictions can reduce some demand, although unclear rules may be harder for buyers to price than firm limits. If supply is growing and the seller has a real deadline, I’d make a lower offer tied to those facts rather than apply an automatic day-21 discount.
 
Back
Top