Are Auckland buyers negotiating more after 91 days on market?

bikesAndJournal

Homeowner
Established
After looking more closely at Auckland coastal listings, I have a new problem: the properties showing about 91 days on market do not seem to form one consistent market. I am considering homes around NZ$1,749,000 to NZ$2,624,000, and condition appears to affect how quickly they move.

Would that length of marketing support a firmer offer only when it is backed by evidence of seller motivation, or might seasonal listing volume explain it? I also wonder whether my definition of coastal is crossing neighbourhood boundaries that attract different buyers. I would be interested in completed sales with comparable condition and property type, along with any indication that the seller changed expectations during the campaign.
 
I wouldn’t treat 91 days by itself as proof that a seller will negotiate. Condition and seller motivation matter more. A well-maintained home can sit because the initial expectation was ambitious, while another may linger because buyers see unresolved work. Compare completed sales with similar condition, not just similar bedrooms and distance from the water.
 
How tightly are you defining “coastal”? Even neighbouring pockets can attract different buyers, and a broad Auckland comparison could make 91 days look more meaningful than it is. Also, are these standalone houses, townhouses, or a mixture? The range is narrow enough that those distinctions could explain much of the difference.
 
Withdrawn properties are another missing piece. If you only watch active listings and completed sales, unsuccessful campaigns disappear from the picture. I’d keep a simple list of the properties you’re following, including withdrawals, relistings and the timing of price changes. That should reveal whether sellers are actually adjusting or merely pausing.
 
That’s a good point. I’d also want to know whether the 91-day count is continuous or whether some homes were taken down and returned. Emil, when you mention public asking history, are you seeing genuine reductions on the same campaign, or listings coming back with different presentation? Those situations send different signals.
 
There’s a caveat to assuming a long campaign gives every buyer leverage: financing can narrow the serious buyer pool without changing the seller’s minimum. A seller who is in no hurry may simply wait. Before choosing an offer level, ask the agent what timing matters to the seller and whether certainty of finance or settlement flexibility would strengthen the proposal.
 
I partly disagree with waiting for a visible price cut. By the time the public price changes, other buyers may re-engage. If the property suits and the condition is understood, a supported offer can test motivation earlier. The useful evidence is a small set of genuinely comparable completed sales, with adjustments for maintenance, site and exact neighbourhood—not an Auckland-wide discount assumption.
 
Yes, but “supported” is doing a lot of work there. An offer based only on days online can look arbitrary. I’d put the comparable addresses and condition differences in writing, then leave room to move. If inspections reveal uncertain maintenance, price that risk separately rather than using 91 days as a blanket deduction.
 
New-listing volume matters too. If many similar homes have arrived since these were listed, buyers have alternatives and older stock may face pressure. If fresh supply is thin, 91 days may not help much. Count close substitutes within the actual neighbourhood boundary rather than every coastal listing in the price band.
 
Public asking history can also anchor the discussion too heavily. The first figure tells you what the seller hoped for, not necessarily what comparable buyers paid. I’d ask each agent for the most relevant completed sales and why they regard them as comparable. Different answers may expose whether the disagreement is about market direction, condition or boundaries.
 
A practical way to sort this: group the listings into maintained, cosmetically dated, and carrying uncertain work; note first asking level, reduction timing, current competition, and outcome. After a few completed sales, you may find that 91 days is less important than the point at which the seller reduced—or refused to reduce—the price.
 
And don’t overlook seller motivation when interpreting a completed example. Two nearly identical properties can produce different negotiations if one seller has a firm timeline and the other does not. I’d use 91 days as permission to ask direct questions and make a reasoned offer, not as evidence of a standard Auckland discount.
 
Back
Top