Are Athens sellers negotiating more after 116 days on market?

holdTheLedger

Property investor
One view is that 116 days gives a buyer room to bid low; the other is that the figure says little until the listings are separated properly. I am hesitant to rely on either approach without knowing whether the same homes have been continuously available.

I am looking at detached homes in Athens from roughly €875,800 to €1,314,000. Some may be lingering because of condition or an ambitious price, while another could sit simply because its exact neighbourhood attracts fewer buyers. New listings and withdrawn properties could also distort the apparent average.

Has anyone compared completed sales with the visible asking-price record, including reductions and relaunches? I am particularly interested in whether longer-listed sellers actually accepted less, or whether their motivation remained unchanged.
 
I wouldn’t treat 116 days alone as evidence that sellers will negotiate. A listing can sit because the seller is patient, because the condition narrows the buyer pool, or because it has effectively been relaunched. The useful comparison is the final asking price before agreement, not just the original headline price. Are those 116 days continuous on one listing?
 
The neighbourhood definition is the missing piece for me. Two homes described broadly as Athens may appeal to very different buyers, even at similar prices. I’d separate the properties into tight local areas before drawing conclusions, then compare condition, outdoor space and whether the lease situation is actually documented rather than merely described as straightforward.
 
Also count the homes that disappear without an obvious completion. Withdrawn stock can make the remaining listings look healthier than the full picture. Some may return with new photos or a different asking price, so a simple days-on-market figure can understate how long the seller has really been testing the market.
 
I have checked the visible listing dates and some price changes, but the sellers’ reasons for moving are still unclear. That is the part I would want to establish before treating age as negotiating leverage.

Condition can support a lower offer because repair costs remain with the buyer once the purchase is complete. Waiting another week before bidding is reversible. Paying more because a well-presented home looks popular is not. A property in good order may have been available for 116 days without its owner becoming flexible, whereas a shorter-listed home needing major work could justify a firmer discount. I would ask about the seller’s timeline and any previous failed agreement before choosing the offer level.
 
A practical way to compare candidates is to keep one row per property: first-seen date, every visible price change, any period when it vanished, condition, exact neighbourhood and the answer given on lease length. Then ask the selling agent whether there have been previous agreed deals that failed and whether the seller has a preferred timeline. You may not get every answer, but it makes offers easier to justify.
 
Yes, and price-cut timing can be more revealing than total days. A recent reduction may mean the seller has finally adjusted, but it can also attract several buyers at once and leave less room. By contrast, no reduction after 116 days may indicate either firmness or an unrealistic expectation. I’d ask what changed before assuming the older listing deserves the deeper discount.
 
For recent completed examples, I’d only compare homes that are genuinely similar and note which asking figure is being used—the original price or the last public price. If completed-price evidence is limited, make the first offer conditional on satisfactory answers about lease length, condition and financing feasibility, with reasons tied to that specific property. That is stronger than applying one percentage discount across Athens.
 
Back
Top