Are 64-day Phoenix duplex listings creating real negotiating room?

anika_vale

Real estate agent
Established
Phoenix feels split rather than uniformly fast or slow. Among duplexes asking roughly $748,000 to $1,122,000, I’m seeing about 64 days on market, but properties with a clear explanation of building reserves seem to move differently.

Are buyers actually negotiating harder after that point, or am I reading too much into days on market? I’d particularly value recent completed examples showing the original ask, any reductions and the final price—not just active listings. Concessions would also matter if known. I’m wondering whether withdrawn stock, property condition or very tight neighbourhood boundaries are distorting the picture.
 
Sixty-four days may create an opening, but it doesn’t prove the seller will negotiate. I’d separate genuinely continuous listings from withdrawn and relisted properties, then compare closed duplexes by condition and a narrow area. Also note whether a price cut happened before an offer or only after financing failed. The same visible history can reflect very different seller motivation.
 
The withdrawn-and-relisted point may be what I’m missing. I’ve mainly been reading the current listing page rather than reconstructing the full sequence.

Would you treat the final public sale price as enough, or try to identify concessions as well? A deal closing near ask could still have been negotiated substantially if the seller covered costs or repairs, while that may not appear in the headline number.
 
You need both where available, though concessions are often harder to establish from public history. I’d also add occupancy and major-condition questions. A vacant, updated duplex with reserve information is not directly comparable to one where access, tenants or uncertain near-term work complicate the buyer’s financing and calculations.
 
One caution: don’t make the sample so narrow that two unusual properties dictate the conclusion. Build a simple table with first list date, relists, initial and final asking prices, closed price, known concessions, condition, occupancy and financing notes. Then mark listings that expired or were withdrawn. That should show whether 64 days is a negotiation point or merely the average of very different situations.
 
I disagree slightly on interpreting price-cut timing as evidence of motivation. A reduction can be tactical rather than a sign the seller will accept another large move, while an unchanged stale listing may belong to someone quietly flexible. Before offering, ask what terms matter besides price and whether the seller has a timeline. Financing certainty and inspection terms may explain why one buyer wins without the lowest number.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries could be doing more work here than the citywide label suggests. Compare each duplex with completed sales and withdrawn stock in the smallest sensible surrounding area, then look at new-listing volume during the same period. If fresh alternatives keep appearing, 64 days means more to a buyer; if supply is thin, an older listing may still have little direct competition.
 
Back
Top