Are 112-day Sydney small multifamily listings becoming negotiable?

Don’t wait only for completed examples, though. Active competition affects your decision today. A seller may accept less when several comparable listings arrive, even before any of those alternatives complete.
 
Seller motivation is the hardest part to infer. Long marketing time, vacant possession or repeated campaign changes can invite questions, but none proves urgency. Make an offer that works for you rather than trying to diagnose the seller perfectly.
 
I’d ask for the insurance issue to be described precisely and in writing where appropriate, then verify it independently before relying on it. What is customary or sufficient can vary, so local professional input may be needed.
 
That uncertainty should affect more than price. It can also affect whether you proceed at all and how much time you allow for investigation. A discount is not a cure for a risk you cannot evaluate.
 
Has anyone considered that an early high asking price can contaminate the comparison? If a property began far above buyer expectations, a later reduction may simply bring it into range. The total percentage cut would overstate the bargain.
 
Yes. I’d compare the current ask with completed alternatives, not congratulate the listing for falling from an unsupported starting point. The original ask is mainly useful for understanding how the campaign evolved.
 
For each comparable, note configuration, condition, insurance clarity, first ask, reductions, withdrawn periods and completed price where available. Even a small table should reveal whether the 112-day properties share one obstacle or several unrelated ones.
 
Keep unknowns marked as unknowns. Public histories often tempt people to create a neat narrative that the available information does not justify. A messy comparison is still better than false precision.
 
I’d also separate time actively marketed from calendar time. If a property disappeared and returned, buyers may perceive it as stale, but you still need the gap visible rather than presenting one uninterrupted campaign.
 
My caveat: don’t become so focused on reconstructing the listing that you miss the actual building. A thorough inspection and realistic allowance for condition can overwhelm whatever negotiating signal you derive from marketing history.
 
Agreed, although the history can guide what to ask during inspection. If price cuts coincide with unresolved information becoming clearer, that tells a different story from reductions made while the property itself remained unchanged.
 
The OP’s likely choice is not simply offer versus wait. It is offer now at a defensible level, continue monitoring alternatives, and preserve the ability to walk away if the insurance or condition questions remain unresolved.
 
Would you regret losing the best-fitting property over a discount suggested mainly by 112 days? If yes, bid from comparable value. If no, a lower offer with a clear expiry may test motivation, subject to local advice on wording.
 
OP here. The replies have shown that I was treating 112 days as one continuous signal when it may include reductions, withdrawals and very different property conditions. I’m narrowing the neighbourhoods and configurations first, then separating current competition from completed results. I’ll treat insurance clarity as its own issue rather than just another reason to subtract from price.
 
That sounds more useful. Once the group is narrower, look for the reason each property remained available. If the reasons differ, there may be no broad “buyers are negotiating more” conclusion—just property-specific opportunities.
 
When you do make an offer, keep the explanation short. A few strong comparable points and unresolved costs are more persuasive than a long argument about every day the property sat online.
 
Any progress on the new-listing side? Even without completed prices, a growing set of close substitutes could justify waiting. If alternatives are disappearing, the 112-day figure may be giving false comfort.
 
That is why the table should be updated, not treated as a one-time exercise. Each new listing, withdrawal and completion changes the practical choice set, even if the target property’s asking price stays still.
 
One more distinction: a final price below the last public ask does not reveal the full negotiation. Terms, timing and unresolved work may have influenced acceptance. Price history is evidence, but it is not the complete deal.
 
True, and a completed result may arrive too late to help with the current property. I’d use it to refine future offers, while making today’s decision from the evidence currently available.
 
Back
Top