Adjusting sparse comparables for a 65 m² Sydney detached home

anika.lark

Landlord
The thin sales evidence is my main constraint here. The property is a Sydney 3-bed detached home of roughly 65 m², in average condition and listed at A$1,991,000. It has good natural light and a strong location, but the finishes are dated and buying costs matter.

I have three current listings to compare with and just one recorded transaction. If the floor areas are reasonably close, would you adjust mainly for layout, land and condition? If they are not, is any per-square-metre adjustment useful at this size? I’m also unsure whether to deduct an itemised renovation allowance or use a percentage. Before I arrange a local appraisal, which detail—parking, outdoor space, title or any relevant lease length—would most alter your rough view?
 
The 65 m² figure is what stops me relying on a neat price-per-metre calculation. In a small detached home, the site, layout and exact street can account for more of the difference than the internal area.

The completed transaction is still the best starting point, provided its date and location are relevant. I’d deduct priced estimates for visible work rather than a broad condition percentage. Next, verify the land or usable outdoor area and whether parking is included; either could materially change the comparison.
 
Get the site comparison wrong and the completed sale may give false confidence. Its date and distance matter, but so do light, parking, outdoor space and the usefulness of the layout.

I agree with using actual renovation estimates rather than blending condition into a general discount. My compromise would be to give the sale meaningful weight only if those physical features are close, then use the listings to define a wider range. I’d also check the title and confirm whether lease length or shared charges apply before settling on low, base and high cases.
 
Back
Top