A rushed Doha offer could cost us negotiating independence

coffeeAndGate

Homeowner
QAR 5,260,000 is already on the table for our Doha property, so there is an obvious temptation to take the quick route. The complication is that the same agency now proposes handling the buyer as well as our sale. I am not clear who would protect our negotiating position or keep our price limits confidential.

Before considering the offer, should we require separate named contacts for each side, a written explanation of how offers and confidential information will be handled, and confirmation of the fee basis? I would appreciate Qatar-specific experience, as I do not want to assume the rules are the same elsewhere.
 
I would not proceed on a verbal assurance. Ask the agent to put in writing whom they represent, what information remains confidential, how competing offers will be handled, and whether the fee changes when one agent is involved on both sides. I would also want confirmation that each party can obtain independent legal advice. The Qatar-specific position should be confirmed locally rather than assumed.
 
Also, how well qualified is the buyer? An early offer is only convenient if the funds or financing are credible. Ask what evidence has been provided, who verified it, and what happens if the sale falls through. Was the property already fully marketed, including the agreed photography scope, or did this offer arrive before you had meaningful exposure?
 
I would not reject the arrangement automatically. One contact can make response times and document handling simpler, provided the agent is transparent about being unable to negotiate exclusively for both sides. The real question is whether you want active strategic advice or merely a neutral channel for transmitting offers. If it is the former, separate representation seems cleaner.
 
Before deciding, request a short written process note covering the named contact for each side, the fee basis, confidentiality boundaries, buyer qualification, response deadlines, offer handling and support after a fall-through. Then have the conflict disclosure and proposed agency arrangement checked by someone familiar with current Qatar practice. If the agent resists putting those points in writing, the convenience is probably not worth it.
 
Back
Top