A$494,000 Sydney apartment: buy despite high building fees?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
A$494,000 is the figure driving the choice. A comparable Sydney apartment would cost noticeably more to own each month once I include interest, taxes, maintenance and building fees, although part of the mortgage payment would increase my ownership stake.

The difficulty is that I may leave Sydney or need to sell within five to seven years. Renting preserves that flexibility, while buying exposes me to entry and sale costs as well as possible fee increases. How would you compare those risks without treating every mortgage payment as an expense? I would also be interested in whether maintenance intensity, buyer demand and rental demand should influence the decision.
 
Renting looks safer to me, although I understand why ownership is tempting when some of the payment goes toward the property. The obstacle is the five-to-seven-year horizon: changing rentals is relatively easy, but buying and then selling commits you to costs that cannot be recovered.

I would separate mortgage principal from interest, then add taxes, maintenance, building fees and the costs at both ends of the purchase. Run the same comparison for an earlier-than-planned move. If buying still works under that less favourable timeline, the case for it becomes much stronger.
 
What is actually behind the high association dues? There is a big difference between expensive ongoing services and contributions to healthy shared-building reserves. I’d want to understand the recent fee history, planned major work, insurance exposure and whether owners have faced extra levies. Low dues can simply mean maintenance is being postponed.
 
I agree with felixb that high fees are not automatically a reason to reject it. A lift, common facilities or a maintenance-intensive building can cost more but may also support resale appeal. The harder question is whether future buyers at this price point will accept those ongoing costs. A comparable apartment in a simpler building could be more liquid even if its purchase price is similar.
 
I’d model three paths: keep renting, buy and sell after five years, and buy and sell after seven. Use a range rather than assuming one property-growth figure or one level of future fees. Include the return you could earn on the deposit while renting, plus vacancy and management costs if moving might lead you to keep the apartment as a rental instead of selling.
 
The rental option also needs a stress test. How secure is the current tenancy, and would a move or rent increase force you into a more expensive apartment? On the purchase side, look at energy use and likely maintenance inside the unit, not just the shared charges. A lower mortgage comparison can be misleading if the apartment is costly to heat, cool or repair.
 
My tipping point would be the exit plan. If selling in year five only works under optimistic assumptions, renting preserves flexibility. If the numbers remain tolerable with flat resale value, higher building fees and full transaction costs, buying becomes easier to justify because the equity is then a benefit rather than something required to rescue the calculation. Before deciding, I’d compare this building with several less maintenance-intensive Sydney apartments around the same A$494,000 budget.
 
Back
Top